Equivalent to UK lower second-class honours degree (2:ii) or above.
Months of entry
The MSc in Polymer Science is a one year taught masters degree that is to not only introduce you into polymer synthesis and characterization, but also demonstrate that macro-scale properties span into the nano and meso scale. You will be immersed in a research-lead environment where you can learn about polymer science as well as having the option of taking a business module to prepare you for a career in industry. This MSc is ideal for those looking for a career in polymers and materials processing as well as a route to PhD.
The Polymer Science MSc is delivered by internationally leading experts from the Department of Chemistry, Warwick Manufacturing Group and Physics as well as guest lectures from our industrial partners. Students gain hands-on practical experience with a range of equipment relevant to each discipline, enabling our graduates to work in any modern laboratory. This MSc will give you an excellent opportunity to start your career in a range of areas from agrochemical and pharmaceutical to personal care, where polymer science is highly valued.
- Fundamentals of Polymerization;
- Physical Properties of Macromolecules;
- Advanced Colloidal Materials;
- Polymers in the Real World;
- Polymer Processing and Nanocomposites;
- Chromatography and Separation Science;
- Transferable Skills;
- Group Research Project;
- Principles and Techniques in Quantitative and Qualitative Analysis;
- Business Model Generation;
- Business Strategy and Strategic Management;
- Establishing a New Business;
- Molecular Modelling;
- Research Project.
The taught component of the programme is a blend of formal lectures, seminars, syndicate work and practical exercises, which encourages teamwork and practical grounding of the material. E-learning and forum activities are widely used to complement these. Modules are usually taught in an intensive block, allowing you to be fully immersed in each subject area. Tutors are highly qualified and work at the forefront of their specialisation. In this programme we have a module (Polymers in the Real World) which involves a weekly seminar from an industrial expert. This lets you gain insight into industrial polymer chemistry, but also expands your personal network to accelerate your future career. Finally, a 20 week research project enables you to immerse yourself in a real research project, once again supervised by renowned academics in their field.
The University of Warwick, Department of Chemistry
The success and reputation of the University of Warwick lies in a unique blend of entrepreneurial spirit and commitment to absolute academic excellence. The University was ranked 6th in the UK by both The Times and The Guardian and provides a world-class environment in which to study.
The Department of Chemistry is a thriving community of academics, researchers, support staff and students. By joining our department, you too will quickly share in our enthusiasm for chemistry and its applications, from medicine to renewable energy. The Chemistry department is highly ranked (6th in the recent research excellence framework (REF) exercise) and you will be inspired by our dedicated team of academics who, as world-leading researchers, use their expertise and enthusiasm for innovation and discovery. We have a huge array of high-specification state-of-the-art equipment and industry standard laboratories that you will use in the research component of your course.
Fees and funding
Funding is possible by a range of mechanisms including departmental and university scholarships, an external scholarship or by self/family funding.
- Postgraduate Loans for Taught Masters: A new system of postgraduate loans for Masters degrees in the UK will be introduced for the 2016-17 academic year. This full details of this scheme have not yet been made available but it is expected to mirror the scheme for undergraduate loans and is exepected to cover up to £10,000. It may also be available to EU nationals (not just UK nationals).
- Warwick Chemistry Overseas Taught Masters Scholarships: These non-repayable scholarships offer a £4000 bursary to the most academically gifted overseas students. The scholarships are only available to non Home/EU students and awards are made on the basis of excellence. There is no deadline for application but award is conditional on commencement of the course. Applications can be made to the appropriate course director by email.
- Professional and Career Development Loan: These loans are designed to assist with enrolment for courses and training that will help your career or help get you into work. They are for sums between £300 and £10,000 and are available through a number of high street banks.
- External Scholarships: A list of scholarships for taught masters study can be found through the international office who highlight the opportunities from all over the world.
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Christina Forbes
- +44(0)24 765 24621