Competition to join our Doctoral programme is very strong; you will need to demonstrate you have the intellectual capabilities, stamina, drive and commitment to complete a ground-breaking piece of work through independent study.
Academic requirements for our MRes/PhD Finance and Economics programme:
- An honours degree from a UK university or equivalent from an overseas university; plus a Masters degree, in economics or Finance (with a significant quantitative finance component). Accounting or Financial Mathematics may be considered with a significant finance component. A first-class degree and a distinction at Masters level is recommended but serves as a guideline only.
- A GMAT or GRE score is required and should be provided as part of your application. However, we have no defined threshold and the score provided will be indicative to merely supplement and strengthen applications.
- You should have strong academic references and excellent potential for research.
Months of entry
Our new fully-funded MRes/PhD Finance and Economics programme combines highly relevant and structured training with close mentorship from a team of supervisors to embed you in our culture of curiosity and help you in developing and deepening your chosen area of research. We value our doctoral researchers and aim to attract students from across the globe who are independent thinkers, restless to learn more and challenge themselves. We particularly welcome applicants whose ambition is a career in academia.
Jointly run with the Department of Economics, we aim to establish our MRes programme as one of the leading programmes in Europe, supporting you to pursue a future career in top academic positions, international organisations and central banks. This programme will provide you with a thorough understanding of state of the art research techniques and in-depth appreciation of principal areas of interest for researchers in finance and economics.
This course was launched for 2021 entry.
Information for international students
You can find out more about our English language requirements. This course requires the following:
If English is not your first language, you must meet a minimum overall standard in a recognised test of English. You must show a good balance across all sections of the test and it must have been taken within two years of starting the course. We will require your certificates as evidence.
- IELTS - overall score of 7.0, minimum component scores of two at 6.0/6.5 and the rest at 7.0 or above
- PTE academic - 70 with 51+ in every section
- CPE – grade C (CEFR level C2) or above
- CAE - Grade C scoring 60+, no worse than 3 component results at borderline and 1 at weak
Fees and funding
For more information on funding please visit our Postgraduate fees and funding page.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time2+4 years (MRes/PhD). months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Masters Recruitment Team