Applicants need to be registered social workers.
Months of entry
The Postgraduate Certificate course has been written to meet the Practice Educator Professional Standards for Social Work.
The programme will enable you to support and assess social work students on placement and enhance your leadership skills. You will develop your knowledge alongside your employment and be provided with evidence to meet the continuing professional development requirements from the regulator Social Work England.
The course provides a continuous professional development framework for social care professionals. Graduates from this programme will be highly competitive candidates for further postgraduate study at MSc, MPhil and PhD level.
- A blended learning experience to enable you to engage in face to face teaching and virtual learning, alongside your busy practice
- Develop critical skills to develop your career as a Social Worker
- Contemporary theory combined with complex practice to advance your knowledge in supporting and developing others
- Modules to develop and challenge your critical reflection, critique and synthesis
- Opportunities to explore social work values and develop innovative thinking in a supported environment
- Develop and demonstrate your competence and capability at an enhanced level
- Opportunities to evidence your continued professional development as required by Social Work England
Recognising that you are likely to be studying alongside social work practice you will engage in blended learning methods. You will be taught through a combination of interactive workshops, lectures, seminars and online sessions. Throughout the programme, you will benefit from an integration of both innovative and traditional teaching methods. Your learning will be supported by the University’s virtual learning environment. You will have individual access to electronic journals, content-rich study guides, and interactive online learning materials formative online assessments and group discussion forums.
The Assessed and Supported Year in Employment module consists of learning opportunities through a variety of methods such as workshops and peer supervision sessions delivered by your employer which will enable you to benefit from content which is specific to your role in your organisation. Alongside this the University provides an interactive workshop focused on reflection and bringing together your learning during your first year in practice. You will also benefit from flexible academic tutorial support.
For the Practice Educator modules you will be working alongside social work students and you will be assessed by an experienced Practice Educator qualified at Stage 2 of the Practice Educator Professional Standards for Social Work, Practice Educator mentor or assessor . Your Practice Educator mentor or assessor will be allocated by your employer.
Pebblepad online portfolios are used to give you the opportunity to evidence your competencies. You will complete reflective essays, allowing you to evaluate and analysis your social work practice.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- part time40 months
- Distance learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Diane Asamoah
- 01905 855111