Visit the institution website for COVID‑19 updates
Course participants must have significant experience of delivering training, education and professional development to direct care staff and be in a position to deliver training and support to staff working in health and care organisations.
Months of entry
This online award provides you with evidence-based interventions to support health and social care staff to safely reduce medication, restrictive practices and improve quality of life for people living with dementia. Developed from the ‘Focussed Intervention Training and Support (FITS) into Practice’ research programme, it is one of the only evidence-based models for care settings of people with dementia, complex needs and distressed behaviour.
The course is designed to equip students from a variety of professional backgrounds with the skills, materials and know-how to deliver a practice-based programme to frontline health and social care staff Those undertaking this module can deliver this programme many times over and form an ongoing community of practice.
The course will reflect the learning outcomes in the Dementia Training Standards Framework and students who complete this double module can leave with this Postgraduate Award or use it towards the Postgraduate Certificate in Person-Centred Dementia Studies.
- A fully online supportive learning environment which utilises a flexible, multidisciplinary, student-centered route to postgraduate achievement.
- A course structured around the values of academic freedom, ethical awareness and critical appraisal.
- Stimulating learning conditions in which students gain the confidence to feel they can shape future dementia care by challenging and enhancing current practice and approaches.
- A course which critically reflects on the FITS (Focussed Intervention Training and Support) into Practice programme, its implementation and relevant emerging evidence in the field.
About the Association for Dementia Studies
The Association for Dementia Studies is at the forefront of person-centred care research, which is used to ensure that our teaching includes real world practical approaches to help people live well with dementia. Our multi-disciplinary team are expert educators who have in-depth experiential and theoretical knowledge in dementia care plus the ability to inspire and enthuse others in this area.
As an Alumni of this University of Worcester PG Professional Development Award, you will be joining a growing community of practice and will continue to find support via ADS run events and an online forum. You will be eligible to be nominated for the Hennell Award, which recognises people who have made a significant contribution to promoting person-centred care.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- Postgraduate Award
- part time12 months
- Online learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Admissions Office
- 01905 855111