To apply for this course, you will need a good honours degree (upper second or first class) or an equivalent qualification from an overseas institution in Archaeology, History, Art History, Museum Studies, Education, Anthropology, Cultural Studies or a related field.
Months of entry
Introduced in 2010 in response to the growth in digital heritage practices, this course provides training for professionals who wish to work in digital archiving, visualisation, and museums and heritage sector interpretation, curation and education.
It draws on the Archaeology department’s strengths in both Archaeological Information Sciences and Cultural Heritage Management – offering a unique qualification that combines the theoretical and ground-level study of heritage management with practical training in new technologies, from database systems and virtual-reality modelling to social media platforms.
You will be working with a team of technology pioneers and computing scholars, who lead the field in researching and developing interpretative content and digital applications for the heritage sector worldwide.
- Gain practical experience in new and mobile technologies used to publish, archive, analyse, visualise and interpret archaeological information.
- Understand all aspects of heritage management theory and practice.
- Develop essential IT knowledge and skills required in heritage-sector careers.
- Gain practical placement experience in the heritage sector.
- Access a full suite of research computing hardware and software
- Receive tailored careers advice from staff with significant experience of recruiting within the sector.
York is one of the best places to study Archaeology, Heritage or Conservation. The Department has an excellent reputation and is one of the largest Archaeology teaching centres in the UK. The historic City of York is rich in architectural and archaeological treasures and resources which you will have easy access to during your studies.
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Postgraduate Administrator
- +44 (0) 1904 323963