Visit the institution website for COVID‑19 updates
- 2:2 or equivalent in German. We also accept combined honours degrees where German makes up at least 50% of the award.
- If you would like to specialise in two languages but have only previously studied German, you may still be considered on the condition that you complete a Subject Knowledge Enhancement course.
- If your undergraduate degree is not in German or a related subject, we may still may be able to offer you a place if you also have a postgraduate degree in German or Grade B in A level German.
- If your undergraduate degree is not at least 50% German, we may require you to undertake a Subject Knowledge Enhancement course prior to starting your PGCE.
- If you are a native speaker of German, you may be considered for the course even if your degree is not in a related subject.
- GCSE Mathematics grade 4 (C)
- GCSE English grade 4 (C)
This is in addition to any other English language requirements you may need to fulfill.
Further information about government requirements for teacher training.
Months of entry
This course qualifies you to teach modern languages at 11-16 (with post-16 enhancement).
- University of York core PGCE
- All Saints, York (Diocese of Middlesbrough Teaching School Alliance)
- Pathfinder Teaching School Alliance
- Teach North
Information for international students
If English isn't your first language you may need to provide evidence of your English language ability. We accept the following qualifications:
- IELTS - 6.5, minimum 6.5 in Writing and 6.0 in all other components
- PTE Academic - 61, minimum 61 in Writing and 55 in all other components
- C1 Advanced and C2 Proficiency - 176, minimum 176 in Writing and 169 in all other components
- TOEFL - 87, minimum 23 in Writing and 21 in all other components
- Trinity ISE III - Merit in all components
- Duolingo - 110, minimum 110 in production and 100 in all other components
Fees and funding
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time12 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Mirjam Buehler