Entry requirements for programmes leading to QTS are stipulated by the DfE (ITT Criteria 2017).
- GCSE in English (or approved equivalent) at grade C/Level 4
- GCSE in Mathematics (or approved equivalent) at grade C/Level 4
- GCSE in Science (or approved equivalent) at grade C/Level 4 (for those student teachers undertaking the Secondary PGCE in sciences)
- a first degree of a United Kingdom higher education institution or equivalent
- a pass in both the professional literacy and numeracy skills tests.
- Have recent and relevant experience within a secondary school setting and applicants should preferably have at least two weeks of secondary school experience prior to applying for a place on the programme, or have this planned. At least two weeks school experience will be expected prior to joining the programme. This might be for example, in a teaching assistant role or a voluntary placement. Please see School Based Experiencefor guidelines.
- Take part in a rigorous selection process designed to assess their suitability to teach.
- Obtain a satisfactory Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) enhanced disclosure check and/or any other appropriate background check.
- Obtain a satisfactory medical report.
- Have passed the professional skills tests in literacy and numeracy prior to entry.
- They have the intellectual and academic capability needed to meet the required teachers’ standards, that they possess the appropriate qualities and characteristics, attitudes and values expected of a teacher
- That they can read effectively and are able to communicate clearly and accurately in Standard English
- That they meet the requirements for physical and mental capacity for teaching
Months of entry
York St John University's Initial Teacher Education Partnership is committed to preparing outstanding teachers through inspiring training in creative school partnerships, focused on understanding, expecting pupil progress and developing professional expertise.
- transformative and creative professionals
- highly motivated and committed
- autonomous and independent
- enquiry based practitioners
- self-reflective practitioners
Information for international students
International students will need to demonstrate that they have equivalent experience /qualifications as home students (ie same entry criteria as above). If their first language is not English they must show evidence of English Language competence at IELTS level 6.0 (in all areas of the test) or equivalent.
Due to immigration laws, International Students on a Tier 4 visa must be studying full-time. For more information about Visa requirements and Short-term study visas, please visit the International Visa & Immigration webpages.
Fees and funding
A Postgraduate Loan is available to help you pay for your Master’s course. Find out more about the postgraduate loan.
You can also look at our Postgraduate funding webpages: https://www.yorksj.ac.uk/study/postgraduate/fees--funding/
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Subject Administrator