You must meet the University’s general entry criteria for postgraduate study. In addition, there are the following requirements.
- Academic entry requirements being met (as noted above) – application is direct to the University
- Satisfactory application form and personal statement
- Successful interview on the selection day
- Satisfactory references
- Receipt of a satisfactory DBS
- Satisfactory medical screening
Months of entry
This two year, accelerated MSc Occupational Therapy (pre-registration) programme is suitable for students who already hold a first degree in a relevant subject. Successful graduates will be eligible to seek registration with the Health and Care Professions Council.
This is a problem-based learning programme which has been designed to enable students to consider humans as occupational beings and the complex, dynamic relationship between health, well-being, participation and occupation. Students will be encouraged to critically analyse and apply models of occupational therapy practice in order to equip them to advocate for and deliver contemporary occupational therapy, which is occupation-focussed, occupation-based and occupation-centred. There is a specific theoretical focus on occupational science. Graduates will leave the programme with AMPS and GEMs training for clinical practice.
Occupational therapy graduates need to be dynamic, adaptable and respond to the rapidly changing health, education and social care provision in the 21st century. The curriculum for this programme has been designed specifically to enable students to consider the challenges and opportunities such changes can afford the profession. Students are encouraged to critically analyse and apply models of occupational therapy practice in order to advocate for and deliver contemporary occupational therapy, which is occupation-focussed and person-centred.
This programme is accredited by the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC) and the Royal College of Occupational Therapists (RCOT). Successful graduates holding our MSc Occupational Therapy (pre-registration) qualification are entitled to apply for registration to practice.
Information for international students
For applicants whose first language is not English they are required to at least meet one of the following criteria:
- Successful completion of a Bachelors or Master’s degree at a University in a majority English speaking country (for a list of these consult YSJ International) where the language of tuition has been English;
- The British Council IELTS 7.0 with no less than 6.5 in each component
- An IBT TOEFL score of 87 overall (with no less than 23 in each band, other forms of TOEFL are not acceptable);
- A Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE) of 59 overall, with no less than 59 in any component.
Fees and funding
We have a limited number of NHS funded places available; if you are a UK or EU resident, you will have your full tuition fees paid and can normally apply for a means tested NHS-funded bursary to help with your living expenses. Further information is available on the NHS student bursaries website.
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Subject Administrator