Whether you do a degree, an apprenticeship or join a graduate scheme, there are lots of roles on offer in the environment sector. Take a look at the routes you can take to an environmental career that best suits your skills

Entry to some jobs, such as land-based engineering, is only possible with a specific degree. For other careers, including environmental management or conservation, you'll need to study a relevant environmental degree. Discover what you can do with an environmental science degree.

Science, agriculture, geography or business degrees are considered useful for many roles in this sector. For information on specific entry requirements and qualifications, see environment and agriculture job profiles.

If you didn't study a related subject at undergraduate level, an environment-focused Masters is a great way of positioning yourself towards a particular career. Research roles may benefit from further study, while environmental management and consultancy jobs are highly competitive and a Masters in an environmental subject may give you the edge in this specialist area.

It's important to note that the sector relies heavily on practical and technical skills, so some employers favour work experience coupled with relevant qualifications more than postgraduate level study.

Do your research into what courses can offer and search for environment postgraduate courses.

What environmental skills do employers want?

Recruiters typically look for candidates with:

  • relevant practical and technical skills to stand out in some very competitive roles
  • enthusiasm about, and fascination for, environmental or sustainability issues to ensure you're always finding new ways of working
  • project-management skills, as time and resources are allocated to projects and need to be monitored and adhered to
  • teamworking skills to able to work with people from a range of disciplines and to collaborate towards a common goal
  • physical fitness, particularly for outdoor roles
  • business skills and commercial awareness, as you'll be operating in a very commercial environment.

How do I find a graduate job?

Many government and public sector organisations provide job opportunities at all levels. These include:

If you're looking for jobs that help the environment, you'll find that vacancies are not always formally advertised as the sector is dominated by small companies - so try sending out speculative applications to organisations you'd like to work for.

When it comes to jobs for agriculture graduates, there's a choice of commercial and technical roles on progressive farms, or in the large number of global and regional companies involved with crops, livestock, machinery and food. The latest agriculture roles are typically advertised at environmentjob and IEMA Jobs.

Self-employment is an option in the sector, in areas such as environmental consultancy, but only once you've built up considerable experience and in-depth knowledge.

To see what's on offer, search graduate jobs in environment and agriculture.

What environmental graduate schemes are available?

You can find programmes at large environmental companies, including:

As well as science and engineering streams, there may also be opportunities in other areas - such as business management, IT, sales, marketing, accounts and HR.

To gain entry onto most commercially-focused graduate schemes, companies often accept any degree subject, although some employers insist on a 2:1 as a minimum requirement.

Forestry England runs a two-year graduate leadership programme for those with a 2:1 or above in degrees relating to the environment, sustainability, forestry and land management, or business.

The Environment Agency requires postgraduates with a Masters in civil engineering for entry onto their structured four to five-year graduate training scheme in flood and coastal risk management.

If you're ready to apply for the next intake, search for environmental graduate schemes.

What about environmental apprenticeships?

There's a long tradition of work-based learning in the environmental sector due to the hands-on nature of roles, with apprenticeships widely available.

Land-based and environmental awarding body Lantra offers apprenticeships at Levels 2 (GCSE) and 3 (A-level), including arborist, forest operative and land-based engineering technician. To get involved, you'll need to search for a local learning provider, as well as a suitable employer.

At the Environment Agency, you could choose to undertake an assistant scientist (Level 3) or facilities management (Level 2) apprenticeship, with the paid workplace training taking place in either a laboratory or office respectively.

Consultancy firm Mott MacDonald runs advanced and degree apprenticeships in a number of areas including civil engineering, transport planning, building services engineering, project management and quantity surveying.

For details on the full range of agriculture, environmental and animal care apprenticeships, see GOV.UK - Find an apprenticeship.

Find out more

How would you rate this page?

On a scale where 1 is dislike and 5 is like

success feedback

Thank you for rating the page