For entry requirements for this course, please visit our website.
Months of entry
The ‘with placement’ programme provides the opportunity to undertake a 7-10 month experience as an IT professional for students who successfully find a suitable placement.
Designed for graduates who want to move into computing from another discipline, MSc Computing and IT Management provides you with a broad technical knowledge and a sound business context for managing IT systems.
Through this course you will learn the skills needed to develop business applications through a fundamental understanding of software and web development, e-commerce and database management. You will also gain an understanding of the professional skills required to lead IT managers by working as a part of a team on a business change project.
You will have the option of learning about new and emerging technologies, such as cloud computing, that are radically changing the opportunities and threats for the provision of IT systems. You may also opt for human-centric computing which focuses on defining and delivering effective information systems from a human-centric perspective. You also have the option of learning the knowledge and skills required to create interactive visualisations and explanations of data.
Students may choose to apply for a paid 7-12 month professional work placement to be undertaken on completion of Spring semester and before completing the MSc course with a 60-credit dissertation. This provides valuable work experience to develop your IT Professional skills.
The dissertation provides the opportunity of developing your research skills and applying technical and management concepts and techniques to solve a complex computing problem.
This two-year course offers a balanced combination of theory and practice, and can serve either as preparation for a career as an IT professional, doctoral research, or as a self-contained advanced qualification in its own right.
- The opportunity to undertake a conversion course in Computing and IT.
- Designed for those who wish to move into computing and IT management from another discipline.
- Professionally accredited by the BCS, the Chartered Institute for IT.
- The opportunity to learn the technical knowledge and skills needed to develop business applications.
- Working in a team on a business change project to develop IT management skills.
- Tailor the course to your interests through a range of advanced option modules.
- Includes a 7-12 month experience as an IT Professional for students who find a suitable placement.
- You will be provided with a laptop during induction week that will remain with you throughout the duration of the course.
Fees and funding
If you’re a home-fee paying student, you can apply for a £3,000 Master’s Excellence Scholarship from Cardiff University to help cover the cost of this programme.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time24 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Student Recruitment Enquiries
- +44 (0)29 2087 4455