Visit the institution website for COVID‑19 updates
For entry requirements for this course, please visit our website.
Months of entry
The ‘with placement’ programme provides the opportunity to undertake a 7-10 month experience as an IT professional for students who successfully find a suitable placement.
This MSc Computing offers students from diverse career and subject areas a balance of software engineering skills and technical abilities required for a career in Software Development.
Through this two-year programme you will get a first-hand understanding of the vital problem-solving role of software, the interdisciplinary opportunities available, and what computational systems can achieve.
Through a gentle introduction and intensive support, you will be introduced to programming skills using important languages such as Java and Python. Emphasis is placed on handling data and you will develop essential skills in SQL (Structured Query Language) for advanced database functionality using industry standard products such as Oracle™.
A choice of taught optional modules allows you to further develop skills in areas of your choice.
Students may choose to apply for a paid 7-12 month professional work placement to be undertaken on completion of Spring semester and before completing the MSc course with a 60-credit dissertation. This provides valuable work experience to develop your IT Professional skills.
Graduates from these programmes will be ideally placed for employment in the computing industry or for careers requiring a combination of their graduate discipline with computing expertise.
- A conversion course that is accredited by BCS, the Chartered Institute for IT.
- The opportunity to complement your existing discipline with Computing.
- Tailor the course to your interests through a range of advanced option modules.
- Flexible choice of project topic, for example: associated with the research activity of the School; fulfilling a business need; reflecting your own interest.
- Complete a 7-12 month experience as an IT Professional for students who find a suitable placement.
- You will be provided with a laptop during induction week that will remain with you throughout the duration of the course.
Fees and funding
If you’re a home-fee paying student, you can apply for a £3,000 Master’s Excellence Scholarship from Cardiff University to help cover the cost of this programme.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time24 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Student Recruitment Enquiries
- +44 (0)29 2087 4455