For entry requirements for this course, please visit: https://www.cardiff.ac.uk/study/postgraduate/taught/courses/course/data-intensive-physics-msc
Months of entry
The MSc in Data Intensive Physics has been designed to provide you with the skills and knowledge needed for a career in a range of areas including academic research as well technical, development and engineering positions in related scientific fields. By combining data analysis and computational techniques with a core science discipline, the course is intended to satisfy the increasing demand for well-qualified postgraduates who are equipped with the expertise to respond to a range of challenges arising from this exciting field.
The course is delivered by members of our Data Innovation Research Institute, which was recently established to conduct research into the aspects of managing, analysing and interpreting massive volumes of textual and numerical information.
A key component of the course is a 3 month summer project, which will be based either in our School of Physics and Astronomy, or with one or more of our external partners. The project will focus on the application of modern data science methodologies to a problem in physics (such as photonics, biophotonics, nanoscience, materials physics, medical physics, or other areas of theoretical or computational physics), providing the hands-on experience needed to succeed in the dynamic field of Data Intensive Physics as well as wider aspects of data science.Distinctive features
- Central to the design of the course is the opportunity for you to acquire real research experience in connection with world-leading scientists, greatly enhancing your CV and prospects for employment or further study.
- As well as providing a solid core in all the necessary elements of Data Science, the programme allows a choice of elective modules and project work that can be tailored to suit whatever specialism you are interested in, whether that be gravitational waves, star or galaxy formation or cosmology.
- You’ll join a well-established and growing cohort of MSc students and be based in a dedicated teaching facility that encourage a “research group” community atmosphere that has been praised by students and external examiners. You’ll also have the opportunity to interact with students on related courses such as our MSc Data Science and Analytics.
- As a successful graduate of this course you will be ideally placed to take advantage of the growing employment opportunities being generated by the demands of “Big Data”.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time12 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Postgraduate Admissions
- +44 (0)29 2087 6457