For entry requirement information, please see our website.
Months of entry
This programme is aimed at registered Nurses, Midwives and other healthcare practitioners, within the UK, who aspire to develop and work at an advanced level of clinical practice, particularly where there is a requirement for advanced clinical assessment and Independent/ Supplementary Prescribing skills.
We are committed to supporting the improvement of the quality of care delivered to the population. Our programme will prepare you for advanced-level clinical practice roles by increasing your critical understanding and complex decision-making skills across the four pillars of advanced clinical practice; management and leadership, education, research, and clinical practice. This will enable you to take on greater responsibilities when managing complex patient care.
At the heart of our innovative MSc in Advanced Clinical Practice are the core Independent and Supplementary Prescribing modules. Upon successful completion of these modules, you will qualify as an independent/ supplementary prescriber, allowing you to offer a more holistic level of advanced care to your patients. The other core module: Research Methods and Data Analysis in Healthcare will provide you with the opportunity to critically explore the evidence and research that underpins advanced clinical practice. Furthermore, an optional clinical assessment module presents an opportunity to develop your patient assessment and clinical skills, and either a clinical competency-based portfolio or a work-based project dissertation module, will showcase your clinical development.
Further your career beyond traditional professional boundaries and extend the scope of your clinical practice by studying the MSc Advanced Clinical Practice.
Successful completion of and Independent/ Supplementary Prescribing results in a registerable qualification with the Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC) and the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC).
Join a School that puts an emphasis on independent learning in a research-led environment. Here are some of the key features of why we think our MSc programme will make you the best advanced clinical practitioner you can be:
- A programme built to suit your needs: A choice of optional clinical assessment modules within the first year will allow you to tailor your clinical skills based on service requirements and career pathway.
- Become an independent/ supplementary prescriber: You can qualify as an independent/ supplementary prescriber by undertaking the independent/ supplementary prescribing modules furthering your personal development.
- Programme mapped: to the Framework for Advanced Nursing, Midwifery and Allied Health Professional Practice in Wales (NLIAH 2020) and the Royal College of Nursing (RCN) Standards for Advanced Level Nursing (2018).
- Nurses who successfully compete the programme will potentially be eligible to apply for credentialing with the RCN:
Credentialing | Professional Development | Royal College of Nursing (rcn.org.uk)
The programme can also be mapped to the Faculty of Intensive Care Medicine curriculum for Advanced Critical Care practitioners (2015), the Royal College of Emergency Medicine Advanced Clinical Practitioner curriculum (2017), and the Health Education England (HEE) (2020) multi-professional framework for Advanced Clinical Practice.
Fees and funding
If you’re a home-fee paying student, you can apply for a £3,000 Master’s Excellence Scholarship from Cardiff University to help cover the cost of this programme.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time18 months
- Distance learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Student Recruitment Enquiries
- +44 (0)29 2087 4455