At UCAS you can apply for this course by using the following code: V1X1
- The equivalent of a UK upper second class honours degree of which approximately 50% is comprised of History or a closely related subject. If your degree is from an overseas institution you must apply for a Statement of Comparability from NARIC
- A demonstrable interest and involvement in the lives and development of young people
- GCSE English and Mathematics at Grade 4 (or C) or above (or equivalent) which must be achieved at the time of application. If your equivalent qualifications are from an overseas institution, you must apply for a Statement of Comparability from NARIC
- Pass in the QTS Skills Tests by the first day of the course
Your professional and interpersonal qualities and your commitment to teaching will be considered when making an admissions decision. Candidates who meet the criteria, will be invited to a selection day. Selection days will involve individual interviews with a pre-prepared presentation element and tests to assess written English and other skills.
Successful candidates will receive an offer conditional upon successful medical and criminal record checks. The latter is carried out by the Disclosure and Barring Service and full instructions on how to apply for a DBS Disclosure will be provided.
Months of entry
The PGCE Secondary is the first phase of a career-long process of personal and professional development, which will equip you to become a secondary school teacher. The PGCE Secondary is a course in Initial Teacher Training which is accredited by the DfE, the successful completion of which will accord you Qualified Teacher Status (QTS).
The course is based on the firm belief that history is a relevant, exciting subject to teach and does not consist of transmitting a mass of information to pupils who then memorise and regurgitate it. The course has a practical emphasis and will introduce you to a range of approaches to teaching history, so enabling you to develop your own teaching style.
• Professional Issues in School Based Education
• Teaching and Learning in the Curriculum
• Self-directed Study.
Fees and funding
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time12 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details