Visit the institution website for COVID‑19 updates
At UCAS, you can apply for this course by using the following code: G1X1
- The equivalent of a UK 2:2 honours degree and one of the following applies: the degree is approximately 50% comprised of Maths or a similar subject or you have an A Level in Mathematics. If your degree is from an overseas institution you must apply for a Statement of Comparability from NARIC
- A demonstrable an interest and involvement in the lives and development of young people
- GCSE English and Mathematics at Grade 4 (or C) or above (or equivalent) which must be achieved at the time of application. If your equivalent qualifications are from an overseas institution, you must apply for a Statement of Comparability from NARIC
- Applicants with non-standard qualifications, for example, access routes into higher education are welcome to apply
- We welcome applications from mature applicants pursuing a career change.
Your professional and interpersonal qualities and your commitment to teaching will be considered when making an admissions decision. Candidates who meet the criteria, will be invited to a selection day. Selection days will involve individual interviews with a pre-prepared presentation element and tests to assess written English and other skills.
Successful candidates will receive an offer conditional upon successful medical and criminal record checks. The latter is carried out by the Disclosure and Barring Service and full instructions on how to apply for a DBS Disclosure will be provided.
Months of entry
The PGCE Secondary is the first phase of a career-long process of personal and professional development, which will equip you to become a secondary school teacher. The PGCE Secondary is a course in Initial Teacher Training which is accredited by the Department for Education , the successful completion of which will accord you Qualified Teacher Status (QTS). Our course has recently been inspected by Ofsted which resulted in an “Outstanding” grading for all aspects of our provision.
Students who have successfully completed the PGCE at Durham in the previous academic year have the option to use 90 credits they have accredited towards a part time MA Education. These students only need to do the core modules, Education Enquiry and the Dissertation over 2 years, to complete the course.
Subject pedagogy is explored in curriculum groups, examining techniques for making each subject accessible and stimulating in a classroom environment.
Why does a minus times a minus make a plus? Preparing to be a secondary mathematics teacher at Durham means that you will have to question your own way of thinking and doing mathematics before teaching. Some students find that they have never really understood some basic procedures, but simply followed rules. On the course, you will be strongly encouraged to find out the reasons behind rules so that you are in a better position to teach pupils well. This can be quite unsettling, but with peer and tutor support it can be a positive learning experience
You are encouraged to show where mathematical concepts are applied in everyday life, but also to recognise that mathematics is a fascinating and creative subject in its own right, and can be studied with no immediate application. The common thread is that pupils need to engage with purposeful activities in a supportive environment.
Our popular Mathematics course aims to:
- Empower you with the necessary knowledge, understanding and skills needed to become an effective and innovative teacher of Mathematics
- Extend your awareness of the range and scope of Mathematics as a subject in schools today
- Provide opportunities for you to experience and explore a variety of approaches for teaching.
Throughout the course you will have many opportunities to observe, research and share different teaching approaches. We will ask you to reflect on your experiences at school, and evaluate your own teaching regularly. While this may not be an easy process, the teachers and tutors supporting you will be sensitive to your needs and give constructive praise and criticism.Structure
The course is organised as three modules:
- Professional Issues in school based education
- Teaching and Learning in the Curriculum
- Self-directed Study.
Fees and funding
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time12 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details