All applicants should normally have a good honours degree in a relevant subject area or equivalent professional practice.
Months of entry
The Master of Design (M.Des) in Communication Design is a two year programme delivered by the Department of Communication Design at Glasgow School of Art. The programme is practice-led and process-oriented in relation to definitions of broad design practices. It is also committed to the acquisition of principles within design theory relating to educational and commercial contexts. The programme provides rigorous methods for the interrogation of visual and textual research, positing questions relating to the role of the designer in society, and fundamental questions regarding personal and social responsibility.
The programme aims to:
- Offer each individual student the opportunity to critically develop his or her own work in the context of a rigorous but supportive intellectual climate
- Encourage students to identify and explore key contextual issues relevant to their practice as contemporary designers
- Develop students' awareness and knowledge base in communication design philosophy, theory, practice and research in the context of innovative forms of communication design
- Enable Communication Design graduates to critically evaluate their work and that of their peers in the context of contemporary design practices
- Enable students to achieve the highest possible standards in their work, so that graduates have the confidence, maturity and intellectual and interpersonal skills necessary to function successfully in the communication design field
- Equip students with the highly developed intellectual, practical and interpersonal skills deemed necessary for careers in design
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Brian Cairns