- A good honours degree (2ii or above and preferably single honours) with a significant proportion of Biology.
- GCSE Grade C (or equivalent) English and mathematics.
- Successful completion of the Professional Skills Tests in Numeracy and Literacy. (More information is available at sta.education.gov.uk)
In addition to the above essential entry requirements, successful applicants also tend to have:
- Grade C or above in advanced level (A level) study of Biology.
- Grade B or above in GCSE Science or Biology, Chemistry or Physics A levels and/or GCSE qualifications in one or two other science subjects.
- A firm understanding of the nature, logic and methodology of Biology as a discipline with ability to analyse and discuss key concepts and theories.
- Recent experience of observing or assisting in the teaching of science at an 11-18 High School.
NB: Third class degrees will be considered if relevant school-based voluntary or paid work experience has been gained.
An offer of a place is subject to a satisfactory Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) Enhanced Disclosure Certificate. Invitation to interview will also include a DBS Enhanced Disclosure application form to complete and bring with you. Payment will be requested after you’re offered a place via our online store.
All entrants to Initial Teacher Training (ITT) courses are required to pass a fitness test to train to teach health assessment as part of the entry conditions to the programme.
Months of entry
Leeds Trinity University is a well-established and widely respected University with an excellent reputation for teacher education. As the premier provider of Secondary teacher training in Yorkshire and the Humber region, we offer outstanding courses with strong school partnerships for aspiring teachers.
Benefits of PGCE Science with Biology
- The Leeds Trinity University PGCE Science programme offers well-structured training to teach pupils across the age and ability range in a diversity of schools, denominational and nondenominational.
- Taught university training is provided by classroom experienced subject experts. University tutors are dedicated to supporting you throughout the course and into your first job as a teacher.
- We offer Subject Knowledge Enhancement (SKE)Courses for people who need to improve their science knowledge before they start a PGCE. SKE courses comprise 6-weeks of online study and a 2-week summer school at the University.
- The employment rate of our students is extremely high and graduates have readily obtained teaching posts across the UK as well as within our partnership schools.
- The course qualifies you to teach Science at 11-16 or 11-18, providing opportunities to develop particular interests at Key Stage 3, 4 or at Advanced Level.
- All Provider-Led PGCE courses lead to Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) and PGCE at Level 6 or Level 7.
Fees and funding
UK & EU Students:
Leeds Trinity postgraduate Initial Teacher Training (ITT) tuition fees are £9,000 in 2016–17. Tuition fees may rise with inflation in future years.
You will not have to pay these fees upfront. Eligible UK and EU students can apply for a tuition fee loan to cover the cost of tuition fees from the government.
UK students on non-salaried places studying full-time can apply for a package of maintenance funding from the government to help with general living costs and additional funding if you have children and/or a disability.
English and EU students can apply and find out more information at www.gov.uk/studentfinance. This website also has a calculator which gives you an estimate of what you will receive.
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Admissions team
- +44 (0) 113 283 7123