- A good honours degree (2ii or above) with a significant proportion in Biology.
- GCSE Grade C (or accepted equivalent) English and Mathematics. We offer GCSE equivalency tests to those who have a conditional place on the course but do not already have these qualifications.
- A pass in each of the Professional Skills Tests in numeracy and literacy.
- Suitable personal and intellectual qualities required for teaching in secondary schools.
- Commitment, attitudes and values appropriate to that of a secondary teacher.
- The capacity to meet the Secretary of State's requirements for physical and mental fitness to teach. All successful candidates will be asked to complete a health assessment as part of the entry conditions to the programme.
NB: Candidates with third class honours degrees will be considered on an individual basis, and normally only if candidates have additional qualifications and/or significant relevant professional experience.
In addition to the above essential entry requirements, successful applicants also tend to have:
- Advanced level qualifications (or equivalent) in Biology.
- Experience of observing the teaching in a secondary school in this country.
We encourage applications from students who may not match the academic profile outlined above but who can demonstrate that they have developed their subject expertise by working for a substantial period of time supporting the teaching of Biology in a secondary school context.
An offer of a place is subject to a satisfactory Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) Enhanced Disclosure Certificate and a satisfactory medical. If you are offered a place you will be sent the information regarding both of these checks.
Months of entry
Are you passionate about inspiring young people to learn more about the human body and the world around them? About the fascinating world of Physics fundamentals? Or the elemental concepts of Chemistry?
Our PGCE Science courses will give you the opportunity to deliver hands-on practical activities and in-depth explorations of the curriculum to best support your own teaching.
The course will incrementally develop and support you to become an independent, reflective teacher.
You will receive high quality support from university subject specialists and mentors, thanks to our extensive school partnerships will be provided throughout your PGCE year and beyond.
Why study with us?
- The secondary programme will prepare you to teach within the 11-16 age phase and opportunities can be provided to develop particular interests at Key Stage 3, 4 or post 16.
- We are a well-established provider of Biology teachers with strong links with schools in Yorkshire and across the North East.
- The employment rate of our students is very high. Our graduates take up teaching posts across the UK as well as within our partnership schools.
- The course is suitable for applicants from a diverse range of backgrounds who have the talent and desire to teach, and the ability to train to become the next generation of teachers.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time12 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Admissions Team