Visit the institution website for COVID‑19 updates
You will need:
- an Honours degree (or its equivalent) in any subject
- Qualified Teacher Status
- current employment as an educational practitioner working with visually impaired learners
- IELTS score of at least 6.5 (minimum of 5.5 in each component)
Months of entry
Embark on this mandatory qualification for Teachers of Visually Impaired Learners, delivered at St. Vincent’s School, Liverpool in collaboration with LJMU.
- Discover this programme designed by practitioners for practitioners
- Study over two years on a distance learning basis
- Explore six diverse Core modules including a UEB braille course
- Take part in five residential weekends and a four week block teaching placement within a specialist or support service setting
- Engage in work-based learning, person-centred inclusive thinking and teaching approaches designed to engage students as self-directed learners and reflective practitioners.
St. Vincent’s is a Specialist School for Sensory Impairments and Other Needs has been consistently rated as an ‘outstanding school’ by OFSTED in all of its school and residential provision inspections since 2008. The partnership between St. Vincent's and LJMU provides access to an environment adapted to those with visual impairment, and offers you a plethora of experience directly on site.
Training to be a Qualified Teacher of Visually Impaired Learners at St. Vincent’s School is a unique and unparalleled experience, as it is the only initial training course of its type that is delivered within the setting of a leading centre of excellence in the education of visually impaired learners.
Delivered and written by experts in the field, bringing their professional currency to the fore, this unique programme’s balance between professional practice and academic rigour stems from the relationship between Liverpool John Moores University and St Vincent’s School. You will experience practice-based learning support in schools and professional settings whilst at the same time having access to tailored support and guidance.
Information for international students
Please note: All international qualifications are subject to a qualification equivalency check via NARIC.
Fees and funding
Please see the course page for more information.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- part time24 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Course Enquiries
- 0151 231 5090