- a minimum 2:1 honours degree in Sport Psychology, Psychology or a related combined award
- IELTS score 6.5
- International students applying to study a full-time taught Masters, MRes, MPhil or PhD at LJMU, you should check if you require an Academic Technology Approval Scheme or ATAS certificate. Please contact LJMU’s International Admissions Team for further details
- International students entering on a Tier 4 visa cannot study part-time
- Graduate Basis for Certified Membership (GBC) – only for the BPS accredited award
- Applications from students with alternative qualifications: you are not eligible for the BPS accredited Stage 1 award, so cannot complete BPS Stage 2 training to become a HCPC Registered Sport Psychologist or have access to Chartered Membership of the Society
- Applicants for the non-BPS accredited MSc Sport Psychology award would normally be expected to have the same level of honours degree in a related discipline e.g. Sport Science, where significant evidence of sport psychology study can be demonstrated
- RPL is accepted on this programme
Months of entry
Complete a BPS-accredited Masters in Sport Psychology at LJMU under the guidance of world-leading academic staff who carry out internationally recognised research.
- This programme is British Psychological Society (BPS) accredited for applicants with Graduate Basis for Chartered Membership (GBC) and offers a route into Stage Two training to become an HCPC Registered Sport and Exercise Psychologist
It is one of the first courses to be endorsed by the British Association of Sport and Exercise Sciences (BASES) SEPAR Endorsement Scheme (PSES)
- Completion enables you to proceed onto LJMU’s Professional Doctorate in Sport and Exercise Psychology, the British Psychological Society’s Stage 2 training programme, or the British Association for Sport and Exercise Science’s SEPAR training programme – all of which make you eligible to register as a sport and exercise psychologist
- Benefit from high levels of academic and pastoral support and access to world-class facilities in the award-winning Tom Reilly Building
- Look forward to excellent vocational opportunities, including a professional practice placement in a sport or exercise setting
The School of Sport and Exercise Science has been delivering this programme for over 20 years, yet we keep our course design current so that you can apply the most relevant theory and research within your practice. We have a strong ethos of theory and applied knowledge, and it is this practice-based learning that we instil in our postgraduates – a style of knowledge transfer that no other BPS accredited course offers.
The programme philosophy seeks to critically engage you with a broad spectrum of Sport Psychology perspectives, drawing on a range of research and applied methodologies. Founded on an academically rigorous knowledge base, studies focus on the impact that research and psychological theory has on applied practice.
Our academic team members have been selected for their specialist expertise, and you will be taught by these experts in performance enhancement. As a postgraduate on this programme, you will experience a rich and highly relevant education and be able to grow as a sport and exercise psychology professional in this elite environment of thought-leaders from the field of Sport and Exercise Psychology.
Our commitment to your ability to support the performance, development and welfare of sportspeople remains our primary focus. You will develop consultancy skills and the knowledge to counsel sportspeople. The results of your work, and the effect it will have on an athlete’s physical and psychological development, will become one of your key outcomes.
Information for international students
International Further Information
Please note: All international qualifications are subject to a qualification equivalency check via NARIC.
Further information is also available from our international web pages.
Fees and funding
Please see the course page for more information.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- part time24 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Course Enquiries
- 0151 231 5090