You will need:
- A minimum 2:2 honours degree in pharmacy, pharmaceutical science, chemistry or a related field
- Alternative qualifications with a significant period of relevant work experience
Please contact our admissions team on 0151 231 2888 or firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss your qualifications if you are unsure if they are relevant to this programme.
- IELTS 6.5 (minimum 5.5 in each component) or equivalent
- Pearson 58-64 (minimum 51 in each component for UKVI purposes)
Months of entry
This new MSc is designed to train graduates to fulfil the increased worldwide demand for experts in the development of natural medicine.
- Enrol on this research-led course specialising in the discovery, formulation and analysis of natural medicines
- Gain an in-depth understanding of the stepwise approach for the discovery of drugs from natural sources, semi-synthesis and/or total synthesis of their analogues and the formulation and quality control of natural medicines used for the treatment and management of diseases
- Use state-of-the-art equipment
- Explore the latest developments in the field with student-led sessions, seminars and workshops
- Prepare for competitive jobs in pharmaceutical, chemical, food and cosmetic companies
- Provides hands-on experience in the effects and formulation of natural ingredients for the wellness industry (supplements and cosmetics)
The Natural Products Discovery MSc focuses on the extraction, isolation and identification of natural products for use in modern medicines, nutraceuticals and cosmeceuticals. One of just a handful of courses of this type in the world, this masters is taught by leading experts in the field.
This is a very practical based programme and you will have access to state-of-the-art instruments including: 300 and 600 MHz NMR, UV, IR, HPLC, UPLC, GC-MS and LC-MS, X-Ray crystallography, analytical and preparative HPLCs with various detectors, microscopy suits and several in vitro and ex vivo bioassay facilities.
As a student on the programme you will have access to the Research Centre for Natural Products Discovery which was founded at LJMU in 2019. The Centre is a unique platform for multidisciplinary and collaborative research, incorporating various aspects of synthetic organic medicinal chemistry, natural products drug discovery, photochemistry, nutraceuticals and food supplements, pharmacology and toxicology.
Information for international students
Please note: All international qualifications are subject to a qualification equivalency check via NARIC.
View country specific entry requirements
Contact LJMU's International Admissions Team for guidance on visa information. Further information is also available from our international web pages.
Fees and funding
Please see the LJMU website for details.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time12 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Course Enquiries
- 0151 231 5090