National Award for Special Educational Needs Coordinator (SENCO)
- Minimum BA/BSc and Qualified Teacher Status
- All applicants must be serving teachers and be able to supply a current DfE number and letter of support from their head teacher.
Months of entry
It is statutory for all new SENCos working in maintained, mainstream schools (including Academies) to attend and complete the National Award for Special Educational Needs Coordination within three years of taking up their post. This course addresses the specific development needs of staff who are working as a SENCo within that three year window, or who are experience teachers who aspire to that role. Participants come from a range of settings including primary, special and secondary schools.This course covers...
The course enables you to demonstrate the necessary skills, knowledge and understanding to meet National College for Teaching and Leadership's (NCTL) learning outcomes for the National Award for Special Educational Needs Coordination. The NCTL stipulate particular outcomes in terms of:
- Professional skills, knowledge and understanding: including an in-depth knowledge and understanding of the legislative context for SEN and theoretical concepts that underpin effective leadership and practice. To be informed by current practice, scholarship and research, and a critical awareness of current issues and developments in the subject and the profession;
- Professional development: including the expertise and capabilities that SENCOs need to lead and coordinate provision effectively.
- Professional values: including the personal and professional qualities that SENCOs need to make a positive impact on the ethos and culture in schools and other settings.
And, you'll you'll also be expected to engage critically and reflectively with the research and theory in the area of inclusion and SEND.
Fees and funding
Fees are shown for new entrants to courses, for each individual year of a course, together with the total fee for all the years of a course. Continuing LSBU students should refer to the Finance section of our student portal, MyLSBU. Queries regarding fees should be directed to the Fees and Bursaries Team on: +44 (0)20 7815 6181.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- part time12 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Course Enquiries