Visit the institution website for COVID‑19 updates
- A Bachelor degree equivalent normally to a UK Second Class Honours Upper Division (2:1) or above in a relevant subject
- GCSE English and Maths at grade 4 or above (previously A*-C or above) or a recognised equivalent
- You will be required to present evidence of social work knowledge and social care as well as work experience in some aspect of social work/social care full-time over six months, or the equivalent part-time (e.g. 15 hours per week over one year in voluntary work). At least some of this experience needs to be in the UK
Months of entry
Social work is a challenging and rewarding career. You will work alongside some of the most vulnerable people in society, working towards positive change with individuals, families and groups. The work is incredibly varied with possibilities to specialise, for example in work with children or young people, adults with disabilities or mental health needs. Social workers often spend their time with people – be it in hospitals, people's homes, schools or in the community. A patient, non-judgemental approach is needed, with the ability to communicate effectively with a host of different people.
The Social Work MA at LSBU is a well-established course, running for over 30 years. Our graduates are eligible to apply to register as Social Workers with Social Work England, and have gone on to work in an exciting range of settings, from local authorities to setting up their own businesses.
We're ranked 1st amongst London competitors for Overall Score in Social Work (Complete University Guide 2021).
This course blends an academic and professional focus with four strands underpinning our approach;
- We link practice-based learning and university learning
- We emphasise relationship based practices and co-production
- We offer research informed teaching
- We support you as autonomous and collaborative learners
On this course you will undertake two practice placements - 70 days in the first year and 100 days in the second year. Potential placements are varied, and are chosen from our diverse range of partner agencies in the voluntary and statutory sectors. Placements will be in different settings, service user groups, ages or methods. Placements may occasionally operate outside of normal working hours.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time24/36 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Course Enquiries Office
- +44 (0) 20 7815 6100