It takes a special type of person to take part in the Master of Sport Directorship. We’re looking for self-starters who possess a rare combination of skills, experience and ambition which provides the foundation for the role of Sports Director.
You may already be working in a sporting environment, for instance: in a medical, coaching, finance or marketing role, and looking for the next crucial step in your sporting career. The role of Sports Director is appealing because you recognise it’s the way forward in the modern game.
Alternatively, you may already be in a business role and seeking to make the move into sport. If you are looking to use your business skills in a new way, the Master of Sport Directorship is ideally suited to help you adapt your talents.
In addition, this course offers ex-players and sports professionals currently in management a means to acquire the business skills needed to take the step into the position of Sports Director.
Ideally, students should be postgraduate or be able to demonstrate sufficient business experience to Manchester Met Business School. A first year foundation course is available for those whose qualifications aren’t enough to gain immediate acceptance on the course. This will bring those students up to the required Master's Degree entry level.
Months of entry
Sport business is a multi-billion-pound, competitive global industry, and it’s growing. The demand has never been higher for professionals with a grounding in governance, commercial acumen and leadership skills.
If you’re an ex-player or sports management professional, we’ll give you the business skills to reach your full potential. This course will suit you if you’re looking to progress your career or move to the sporting world from business.
Building strategic skills
Our course is the first of its kind and paves the way for future leaders of sport. Studying part-time over two years, you’ll develop the expertise to meet the demand of leading sporting organisations.
You’ll cover topics such as sports leadership and personal development, innovation and change, governance and best practice. A real highlight is the study of neuroscience and how it impacts on leadership and performance.
We’ll also expose you to a range of sporting environments. You’ll share knowledge with peers from different backgrounds, and apply new knowledge in your own specialism.
In your second year, you’ll apply your skills to a dissertation. We’ll challenge you to identify, research and strategically analyse a managerial or business issue within your organisation or in an area of your own interest.
Features and Benefits
- A global city for sport – study in one of the UK’s greatest sporting cities, home to two top Premier League sides, an international cricket ground and a renowned velodrome.
- Triple crown - study in a Business School that has prestigious triple accreditation from EQUIS, AACSB and AMBA.
- Masterclass Series – this series brings experts in from the industry. Past speakers include Head of Communications at British Cycling, CEO Essex Cricket Club and the Development Director at the FA.
- Pioneering – it’s the world’s first qualification of its kind. Be part of a select group of individuals who are the most qualified Sporting Directors in the world.
- Backed by science – we delve into the science of performance management to help you understand how to understand and improve business performance.
- Learn from the experts – the MSD teaching team have a wealth of experience in areas such as leadership, neuroscience, team performance, innovation, change and governance.
- Executive Coaching – we offer all our students the chance to have an Executive Coach. Coaching is a valued approach to individual development and is becoming a well-established practice in business.
- Endorsed by industry – the teaching on this course is endorsed by the England Rugby League, Premiership Rugby and Rugby Football League.
- Diverse community – from grass roots to high profile professionals, we welcome people from all aspects of sport. This course also suits business owners wanting to grow their company.
- A world of opportunities – we’ll help you prepare for director level roles in global organisations. Think premier league clubs, Olympics, FIFA and more.
Information for international students
International students please visit our website for more information.
Fees and funding
Funding information available, please visit our website.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- part time24 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Course Enquiries
- +44 (0)161 247 6969