It takes a special type of person to participate in the Master of Sport Directorship. We're looking for self-starters who possess a rare combination of skills, experience and ambition which provides the foundation for the role of Sports Director.
You may already be working in a sporting environment, for instance: in a medical, coaching, finance or marketing role, and looking for the next crucial step in your sporting career. The role of Sports Director is appealing because you recognise it's the way forward in the modern game.
Alternatively, you may already be in a business role and seeking to make the move into sport. If you are looking to use your business skills in a new way, the Master of Sport Directorship is ideally suited to help you adapt your talents.
In addition, this course offers ex-players and sports professionals currently in management a means to acquire the business skills needed to take the step into the position of Sports Director.
Months of entry
Sport business is a multi-billion-pound, competitive global industry, and it’s growing. The demand has never been higher for professionals with a grounding in strategy, commercial acumen and leadership skills.
If you’re an ex-player or sports management professional, we’ll give you the business skills to reach your full potential. This course will suit you if you’re looking to progress your career or move to the sporting world from business.
Building strategic skills
Our course paves the way for future leaders of sport. Studying part-time over two years, you’ll develop the expertise to meet the demand of leading sporting organisations.
You’ll cover topics such as leading for high performance, strategic operations, innovation and change, governance and best practice. Combining psychology and psychometrics, the MSD course will get to the heart of the science of performance. Our unique blend of experts, practitioners and industry insiders will help you harness the power of the mind to enable and enhance achievement in sport and business.
We’ll also expose you to a range of sporting environments. You’ll share knowledge with peers from different backgrounds, and apply new knowledge in your own specialism.
In your second year, you’ll apply your skills to a dissertation. We’ll challenge you to identify, research and strategically analyse a managerial or business issue within your organisation or in an area of your own interest.
Features and Benefits
- A global city for sport – study in one of the UK’s greatest sporting cities, home to two top premier league clubs, an international cricket ground and a renowned velodrome.
- Triple accredited - our Business School holds the globally recognised trio of accreditations from EQUIS, AACSB and AMBA, placing us among the best business schools in the world.
- Masterclass Series – this series brings experts in from the industry. Past speakers include Head of Communications at British Cycling, CEO Essex Cricket Club and the Development Director at the FA.
- Backed by science – we delve into the science of performance management to help you understand how to appreciate and improve business performance.
- Learn from the experts – the MSD teaching team have a wealth of experience in areas such as leadership, strategy, operations, team performance, innovation, change and governance.
- Executive Coaching – we offer all our students the chance to work with an Executive Coach. Coaching is a valued approach to individual development and has become a well-established practice in business.
- Endorsed by industry – the teaching on this course is endorsed by the England Rugby League, Premiership Rugby and Rugby Football League.
- Diverse community – from grass roots to high profile professionals, we welcome people from all aspects of sport. This course also suits business owners wanting to grow their company.
- A world of opportunities – we’ll help you prepare for director level roles in global organisations. Think premier league clubs, Olympics, FIFA and more.
- Enhancing your experience – As a member of the Manchester Graduate School of Sport, you are also part of Manchester Metropolitan University Institute of Sport. This Institute unites expertise from across the University, creating a home for sport education, research and partnerships at Manchester Met.
Information for international students
International students please visit our website for more information.
Fees and funding
Funding information available, please visit our website.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- part time24 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Course Enquiries
- +44 (0)161 247 6969