A 2:1 honours degree, or international equivalent, in any of the following fields:
- English language and literature
- modern languages
- a medical discipline, such as biomedical science or medicine
We will also consider your application if you have a first degree in a different subject plus relevant industry experience.
Your degree must have been obtained by the time of application. You will need to upload the degree certificate using the Applicant Portal.
You are required to have practical experience of working in or observing speech language therapy clinics, or closely related experience such as:
- working in a care or nursing home
- working with children with special needs or adults with disabilities
- working with individuals with learning disabilities
You need to be able to identify with NHS values as stated in the NHS constitution.
You will be required to have a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) disclosure and an occupational health assessment.
Months of entry
- practical anatomy
- head and neck
- cognitive impairment
Information for international students
To study this course you need to meet the following English Language requirements:
Direct Entry: IELTS 8.0 overall (with a minimum of 7.5 in all sub-skills)
- we do not accept any equivalent English language qualifications for this course
- you must have achieved your IELTS qualification by the time you apply
- your IELTS certificate must be uploaded using the Applicant Portal
- applications without IELTS certificates will not be considered
Pre-sessional English Language courses are not accepted as an alternative entry to this course.
Fees and funding
See Fees and Funding tab in the Programme information in our online Prospectus.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time24 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Further details of qualification
Accredited by the Health Professions Council and the Royal College of Speech and Language Therapists of Great Britain and aims to train professionally qualified speech and language therapists. Successful graduates are eligible to apply for registration with Health Professions Council; this registration is obligatory for practise in the UK,
Course contact details
- Programme Secretary, School of Education, Communication and Language Sciences
- +44 (0) 191 208 7385