A 2:1 honours degree, or international equivalent, in civil engineering, mechanical engineering, naval architecture, offshore engineering, ocean engineering or marine engineering. Relevant professional experience is desirable, although not essential. We will consider your application on an individual basis if you have lower or non-standard qualifications and significant, relevant professional experience.
Months of entry
This course gives you an understanding of marine engineering and its practice. It covers topics associated with Naval Architecture (hull and propulsor) and Marine Engineering (machinery).
The course develops your practical skills to enable you to:
- design, select, analyse and install marine propulsion and transmission systems
- produce mathematical and computer modelling of marine machinery and engineering systems
- design and analyse control systems for marine machinery
- use mathematics and physics appropriate to marine technology
- develop engineering solutions to practical problems
- test design ideas through laboratory work or simulation with technical analysis
- critically evaluate results
- integrate and analyse information from a variety of sources
Teaching consists of lectures, practical sessions, seminars and personal supervision covering a variety of topics in marine engineering.
You will choose an individual dissertation project. This may be theoretical, experimental or the development of a simulation model of marine engineering systems. It can include ships' propulsion and power transmission systems. Our research strengths include:
- design of diesel-electric hybrid propulsion configurations
- engine emission prediction and simulation
- online ship performance monitoring and optimisation
- ballast water management.
Information for international students
Direct Entry : IELTS 6.5 overall (with a minimum of 5.5 in all sub-skills). If you have lower English Language scores, you may be accepted onto a Pre-sessional English Language course. You may need an ATAS (Academic Technology Approval Scheme) clearance certificate.
Fees and funding
See our course fees and funding web page.
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Susan Davies, Postgraduate Programme Co-ordinator, School of Marine Science and Technology
- +44 (0) 191 208 8912