You will need:
- A 2:1 honours degree is preferred, but strong applicants with a 2:2 in a degree related to National Curriculum subjects, or to education or child development more generally, will also be considered.
- GCSE English, Mathematics and Science at minimum grade C or equivalent, these must have been gained prior to application
- Disclosure and Barring Service and Prohibition Order checks passed prior to enrolling
- Professional ITT Skills Tests in Numeracy and Literacy passed prior to enrolling
- two references - one academic and one vocational.
Applicants must evidence a minimum of ten days mainstream UK school experience (paid or voluntary) in a Key Stage 1 or 2 class in their application. This must have been within the last two years and completed prior to interview.
Months of entry
This teaching degree provides graduates with the knowledge, skills and experience necessary to become primary school teachers. Time is spent both in the University and on classroom placements, ensuring that by the end of the course, trainees are confident professionals.
The award of PGCE is offered at two levels:
- Professional Graduate Certificate in Education
- Postgraduate Certificate in Education (where 60 Masters-level credits can be gained).
Both of these are recognised teaching qualifications, but the postgraduate degree will allow fast-track entry to Masters courses. The choice of which qualification to take will be made while on the course. Successful completion of the course will lead to Qualified Teacher Status (QTS)*.
The course is designed to provide the knowledge and skills needed to meet the demands of a first teaching post in the primary age range (5 to 11 years). You will focus on primary education across both key stages, a National College for Teaching and Leadership (formerly the Teaching Agency) requirement which is essential to gain an overview of development and progression throughout the complete primary age phase. There may be an opportunity to place an increased emphasis on either Key Stage One (five to seven years) or Key Stage Two (7 to 11 years) during your school based training.
Information for international students
For international students' fees and financial information please visit our website.
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Admissions Team
- +44 (0) 115 848 4200
- +44 (0) 115 848 8869