You will need:
- A UK honours degree or equivalent with a 2:2 - at least 50% of which is in the subject you wish to teach or in a closely related subject.
- GCSE English and Mathematics at minimum grade C or equivalent, We accept the GCSE equivalency taken via equivalencytesting.com or astarequivalency.co.uk. Applicants with pending qualifications will be considered.
- Disclosure and Barring Service and Prohibition Order checks and a satisfactory health check passed prior to enrolling.
- Two references - one academic and one vocational.
It may strengthen your application to have had some experience in a classroom in a UK mainstream school, setting or college, although this is not an entry requirement. If you do wish to gain some experience prior to your application, you can find out more about how to arrange this online.
In exceptional circumstances applicants may be considered who do not have a strong degree match, but who have other relevant qualifications, including an A-level in the subject and extensive professional experience. We do not accept Ordinary degrees. The key consideration is if you are able to demonstrate knowledge of the subject that is commensurate with graduate level understanding.
You will complete a diagnostic assessment of your fundamental English and mathematics skills at interview. This will inform any development that you need to undertake leading up to and during your training. There is no longer a requirement to complete Department for Education Professional Skills Tests.
After interview, strong candidates who are not able to demonstrate graduate level subject knowledge may be offered a place on the course, dependent on successfully completing a Subject Knowledge Enhancement (SKE) course in that subject prior to commencing their teacher training year.
If necessary, you can take a relevant GCSE as a private candidate.
Months of entry
Our PGCE Secondary courses aims to develop an understanding of the specialist subject in the context of the National Curriculum; the principles involved in the teaching and learning of the subject across the full age and ability range and the professional values and practice, subject knowledge and understanding commensurate with the particular subject specialism. Successful completion of the course will lead to recommendation for Qualified Teacher Status (QTS).
Information for international students
For international students' fees and financial information please visit our website.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time10 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Admissions Team
- +44 (0) 115 848 4200