A 2.2 honours degree in civil engineering, or related built environment subject area.
We will also consider applicants with the following qualifications.
- Postgraduate diploma, or equivalent academic achievement in civil engineering or appropriate built environment subject area.
Applicants with non-standard entry qualifications and/or relevant experience will be considered on an individual basis. Assessment of your experience will confirm that you have achieved the necessary skills in the course of your general experience.
If you are applying for the part-time module, you would typically have two to three years' experience, and have the support of your employer who will wish to integrate study and projects into your day-to-day work.
You will probably be employed on significant infrastructure, and civil engineering and/or building works, either as a direct employee of local or national government, or in the private sector. You will likely have experience of developing and coordinating significant infrastructure, and civil engineering or building projects.
Months of entry
Our MSc Civil Engineering course is developed from a mix of technical and management-based modules, aligning to current global issues relating to civil engineering. Your learning will focus on the civil engineering infrastructure and structural and management aspects of construction, as well as complex environmental problems affecting construction projects.
Grounded in professional, statutory and regulatory bodies’ requirements, your studies will emphasise critical issues related to sustainability, design innovation, climate change, global social responsibility and economic efficiency.
Who is this course designed for?
This course is suitable for professionals working in the broad civil engineering and construction industries, who aspire to senior management positions. Additionally, this course is suitable for BSc (Hons) and BEng (Hons) undergraduate students in related subject areas, looking to progress to study a technical postgraduate programme. The skills and knowledge gained on this course opens up opportunities for application to senior technical and middle/senior management positions.
- This degree is accredited by the Joint Board of Moderators (JBM) and recognised as meeting the requirements for Further Learning for a Chartered Engineer (CEng) for candidates who have already acquired a partial CEng accredited undergraduate first degree. See the JBM website for further information.
- Benefit from our industry-standard facilities in our Maudslay building, right in the heart of Nottingham’s city centre, supported by our team of expert technicians.
- Be guided by expert academics with links to industry and significant experience of working in practice. Most staff teaching on the course are members of professional institutions relating to civil engineering and participate in industrial activities, consultancy and research, ensuring our course content allies with current industry practice.
- Extend your knowledge and experience by exploring related disciplines, such as energy, manufacturing. Our course structure enables personal exploration in related areas of interest, helping you to align your developing knowledge to your career aspirations.
This degree is accredited by the Joint Board of Moderators (JBM) comprising of the Institution of Civil Engineers, Institution of Structural Engineers, Institute of Highway Engineers, the Chartered Institution of Highways and Transportation and the Permanent Way Institution on behalf of the Engineering Council as meeting the academic requirement for Further Learning for registration as a Chartered Engineer (CEng). To hold accredited qualifications for CEng registration, candidates must also hold a Bachelor (Hons) degree that has been accredited as partially meeting the academic requirement for registration as a Chartered Engineer (CEng).
Fees and funding
Please visit our course page for the latest course fees and funding opportunities.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time12 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- NTU Admissions
- +44 (0)115 848 4200