Visit the institution website for COVID‑19 updates
- You are generally expected to have a good BA degree from a photography or fine art course.
- You should be able to demonstrate an original and critical approach to photography as well as an ability to engage with current theories of art and culture that inform your practice.
Applications for the 2021 intake are open. Visit the RCA website from this date for details.
Months of entry
Study at the World's number one ranked art and design university for six consecutive years (2015-2020) in the QS World University Subject Rankings.
The Photography programme provides a critical and educational environment in which you can develop as an artist with photography at the core of your practice. We offer a platform where students can articulate ideas through making work and can reflect critically upon what they have made.
Photography is now in a state of productive fluidity. The boundary between what is and what is not a photograph is dissolving. Whether still or moving, instantaneous or posed, digital or analogue, the photographic image is now a malleable cultural and aesthetic form of representation. An informed practice of photography is aware of the heterogeneous visual traditions of fine art as well as the specific traditions of photography as art. Our students also engage with practices of reading and writing about the still image, informed by theories of art, representation and culture.
The programme offers:
- understanding of photography as an expanded and interdisciplinary art practice with no fixed identity
- emphasis on the relation between photography and the book, text and image
- black-and-white and colour darkrooms, analogue and digital, with facilities to make prints up to 125 cm wide
- photography studios equipped with flash, tungsten and daylight
Fees and funding
Learn more at the funding page.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time24 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- RCA Student Recruitment