Entry is by interview, and candidates should be able to demonstrate significant experience of and engagement with the opera/theatre world. Professionals already working in these areas but seeking to enhance their skills are encouraged to apply. Minimum entry requirements usually include a 2:1 degree in music or an equivalent qualification, although the College is able to consider applications from people without formal qualifications if they have an exceptional level of ability, practical experience, and a good understanding of the opera profession.
Months of entry
Opera Directing is offered as an MMus programme.
- Fully mentored programme, tailored to each individual’s specific skills and experience
- Training in acting methodologies, rehearsal techniques, principal singing languages and movement
- Exploration of different operatic forms, styles and conventions
- Collaborating across the various creative disciplines involved in operatic productions
- Investigation of artistic relationships, including the design process and the conductor’s role
- Involvement with a range of operatic productions and projects
- Directing in-house opera scenes projects
- Observation of professional practice, both in RWCMD and at Welsh National Opera
- Fully-negotiated industry placement in a professional UK opera company, focusing on the role of staff director and associated areas of expertise
Information for international students
The nature of the MA in Opera Directing is such that all candidates are required to demonstrate the highest levels of communication skills in spoken English. This will be assessed at interview.
The College regularly holds auditions in Asia and North America and, in some cases, it may be able to accept auditions recordings on DVD from applicants who are unable to attend an audition in person. www.rwcmd.ac.uk/international
Fees and funding
Students can apply for a postgraduate loan and may also be able to apply for financial assistance from a variety of educational charities and trusts.
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Admissions Department