We normally look for a First or Upper Second class honours degree (2:1, with 60% average) from a UK university or the overseas equivalent, in any discipline.
When assessing your academic record, we take into account your grade average, position in class, references and the standing of the institution where you studied your qualification. We particularly welcome applications from institutions of high ranking and repute.
Months of entry
The course aims to produce well-rounded human resources practitioners with exemplary knowledge and relevant hands-on experience.
Accredited by the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development (CIPD), the course is designed to -
- Develop a critical appreciation of the theoretical foundations and empirical practice of HRM and IR
- Expose you to a wide variety of organisational practices by use of teaching materials based on high quality contemporary research conducted by lecturers and their own research for an independent individual dissertation
- Enable you to develop practical skills in the subject area to equip you for a career in or further study of the HR/IR field and gives you a grounding in research methods which you can apply appropriately either in the business world or in academic research
- Provide you with the opportunity to gain graduate membership of the CIPD (Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development) which is extremely advantageous in securing a career in HRM.
You have the opportunity to attend skills development workshops run by expert HR practitioners to acquire practical HR skills, to attend a live employment tribunal case, and to undertake a group project in an organisation to develop teamworking and practical HR and research skills.
CIPD Course recognition
The course is approved by the Chartered Institute of Personnel Development (CIPD) to the new equivalent advanced level postgraduate standard.
- You can enhance your studies by taking additional CIPD components that prepare you for CIPD membership.
- To qualify for membership you need to attend a series of skills workshops, with presentations by guest speakers, and complete a range of activities enabling you to develop practical HR skills.
- You join CIPD as a student member and when you have passed all course units (including the dissertation) and the CIPD components, your CIPD membership will be automatically updated to Associate Member. Once you have applied your knowledge in the workplace, you can apply for Chartered membership.
- There is an additional charge for both the required skill training and the CIPD student membership - contact the Masters Admissions Office for details.
Further information about CIPD qualifications, visit the CIPD website .
If you are particularly interested in international human resource management and /or comparative industrial relations you might like to consider our MSc International Human Resource Management and Comparative Industrial Relations .
Information for international students
For the latest information on demonstrating your English proficiency for those whose first language is not English, please see our language requirements.
We accept a range of qualifications from different countries. For these and general requirements see entry requirements for your country.
Fees and funding
Contact us for further information on scholarships available .
- Alliance MBS Masters Scholarships for UK/EU/International students
- Alliance MBS Masters Scholarships for US residents
Qualification and course duration
Further details of qualification
Completion of the programme entitles students to Graduate Membership of the professional body Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development (CIPD), which is advantageous in pursuing a career in Human Resource Management.
Course contact details
- Alliance Manchester Business School
- +44 (0)161 306 1339