You should have a bachelor’s honours degree or international equivalent, typically a 2:1 or above.
To apply for this course you may have an undergraduate degree in any subject.
We may make an offer based on a lower grade if you can provide evidence of your suitability for the degree.
If your first language is not English but within the last 2 years, you completed your degree in the UK, you may be exempt from our English language requirements.
Months of entry
Delve in depth into the fast-evolving world of international English language education and gain fresh perspectives for teaching it in your own country.
The MA Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) is a specialist master's course suitable for anyone working - or aspiring to work - in the field of teaching English as an international language.
You will gain exposure to the latest developments in TESOL research, policy and practice, and work with expert tutors who, collectively, have taught English across five continents and are leading the way with their research.
Throughout the course we will challenge your thinking and assumptions about how English is used, taught and learned worldwide, analysing its role as the world’s major international language and exploring current issues and debates.
We place particular emphasis on helping you to apply the latest thinking about English language teaching to different social and cultural contexts, including your own.
In addition to core units, you will attend specialised teacher training workshops to gain expertise in relevant classroom procedures, and complete an academic writing and study skills course.
You will also have opportunities to share experiences with language educators from a range of backgrounds and build your international network of professional contacts.
By the end of the course you will be able to:
- develop appropriate teaching methods and materials to enhance how English is taught in your own country
- use the latest research to reflect on, and inform, your daily practice and decision-making
- enhance your employability in a range of fields, including English language teaching, bilingual education, language teacher education, intercultural communication and business communication
- build an international profile and contribute academically and professionally to this rapidly evolving field
This course is suitable for those with academic and professional backgrounds in applied linguistics, English language education, linguistics, international education and cultural studies. It is relevant if you're already working in the field, or aspiring to do so.
Fees and funding
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time12 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Further details of qualification
1 year full-time
Course contact details
- Taught Postgraduate Admissions
- + 44 (0)1225 386602