You should have a bachelor’s Honours degree or international equivalent, typically a 2:1 or above.
To apply for this course you are also expected to have obtained good marks in at least five units/modules, comprising microeconomics and econometrics (or statistics) and three other quantitative units such as macroeconomics, calculus, matrix algebra, data analysis, game theory, operational research, probability or financial engineering. These units/modules should preferably have been taken in your final two years of study.
We may make an offer based on a lower grade if you can provide evidence of your suitability for the degree.
Months of entry
The MRes Economics is an intensive taught course which provides advanced training in economics, econometrics and research skills.
This course is designed to provide high-quality training to potential doctoral students. Studying for an MRes-type qualification before starting your PhD will give you experience of a broad range of qualitative and quantitative research methods, and enable you to develop a more in-depth research proposal.
It's also suitable if you need research skills in your planned or current profession. We've increasingly seen a greater need to collect, collate and analyse performance data in a variety of public and private sector organisations and, as a stand-alone qualification, our course will provide social science research training.
Specifically the course provides:
- a combination of the academic study of key theoretical and quantitative economics with the development of research and writing skills
- a critical evaluation of current and applied economics research
- an ability to evaluate and contribute to economic debates
- an ideal preparation for would-be researchers in economics in general and for those wishing to proceed to a PhD in economics
- the opportunity to mix with social science researchers from other disciplines (taking associated MRes courses) – recognising the increasing importance of interdisciplinary research
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Course Admissions
- +44 (0)1225 385 115