A good undergraduate degree (first or 2:1 Honours degree, or equivalent) in an appropriate subject, from a recognised university.
MA in TESOLMA in TESOL including DELTA MA in TESOL Fast-track (for DELTA or Trinity Diploma qualified candidates)
Months of entry
The MA TESOL is a specialist degree for aspiring professionals who wish to enhance their career prospects in the field of teaching of English as a second, foreign or additional language.
It will provide you with the tools and resources you need in order to develop your teaching skills, reflect upon your professional practice and conduct your own research.
Our programme team all have doctorates in TESOL related areas and extensive international experience.
We place particular emphasis on helping you to develop appropriate methods and materials to suit your social and cultural context.
Upon graduating you will be able to:
- Demonstrate knowledge of the latest practice, theory and policy of international language education.
- Apply your knowledge to the teaching of English in a variety of contexts around the globe.
- Demonstrate an understanding of current issues in the English language teaching profession.
- Critically analyse the role of English as the world’s major international language.
- Use research to inform your daily practice and decision making as a language educator.
- Contribute professionally and academically to the rapidly changing world of international English language education.
- A highly competitive programme that integrates the latest developments in TESOL research and practice.
- Suitable for pre- and post-experience participants.
- Opportunity to share experience with educators from a range of backgrounds and to establish an international network of professional contacts.
- Specialised academic writing and study skills courses for MA TESOL students.
- Credits equivalent to two MA units offered to students who already hold either a Cambridge ESOL Delta or a Trinity College London Diploma in TESOL (DipTESOL).
Study commences in September, and lasts for one year.
- Research Methods for Second Language Education 1
- Second Language Acquisition
- Language Awareness
- Research Methods for Second Language Education 2
- Language Teaching Methodology and Curriculum
- Teaching and Assessing English as an International Language
You will also complete a 15,000-word Dissertation for the MA TESOL.
Information for international students
IELTS 6.5 (with no less than 6 in each component) PTE Academic of 62 with no less than 59 in any component
Fees and funding
The Faculty of Humanities & Social Sciences Graduate School provides guidance on potential sources of funding (studentships and scholarships) for postgraduate students. For more information, please visit our website.
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Admissions Officer
- + 44 (0)1225 386602