Applicants should have a good undergraduate degree at Honours level, or equivalent. Enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check Applicants for the course would be expected to have a second class honours BA/BSc (Hons) degree in the field of sport-related studies generally, with one of the following titles (indicative list only): Physical Education (with Qualified Teacher Status), Physical Education, Physical Education and Sport, Sport and Physical Education, Sport Science, Sport Studies, Sports Coaching, Sports Science and Coaching. Non Standard: Special entry is available for applicants with a primary school teaching qualification with appropriate experience in physical education and sport, and for applicants with no degree but with extensive and appropriate teaching and/or coaching experience and demonstrable through Advanced Prior Experience and/or Learning (APEL). Students will be required to submit a portfolio to highlight their pedagogical experience. Since this course is built upon a very broad and critical grounding in learning theory and pedagogical models overseas students will be expected to have a strong command of English with an overall score of IELTS 6.0. In-course language support will be available for those students in need of extra language support. Students are required to have advanced disclosure prior to commencing this course due to the practical nature of some of the pedagogical activities.
Months of entry
About this course
This intellectually demanding professional development MA is designed to support you in becoming a more reflective teacher or youth/ community/performance sports coach, using intensive, compressed teaching time combined with flexible off-site guided learning to fit around your work in a school or youth sport setting. It is research-led and research-informed, taught by world-leading academics, grounding the theoretical study of physical education and sport pedagogy in your practical work place experience.
Intermediate qualifications available:
- Postgraduate certificate – 60 credits at Masters level
- Postgraduate diploma – 120 credits at Masters level
- Study in a supportive and innovative environment, on a course covering a unique combination of topics designed to integrate with current physical education policy
- Explore opportunities to contribute in an enterprising and creative way to the field and practice of physical education and sport pedagogy
- Develop a high level of understanding of physical education practice and policy providing you with a basis for life-long learning and successful career development in your chosen professional area of physical education and sport pedagogy
- Gain from studying with staff with impressive backgrounds with nationally and internationally recognised research interests, as well as access to state-of-the-art facilities
- Benefit from a course designed to prepare you to work in a range of sport or education contexts, including physical education teaching; sports coaching (elite, performance, development and/or community); physical education teacher education; sport development or educational research and/or continue to further research-based study on MSc by research, MPhil or PhD programmes.
Want to know more about our courses and keep up to date with news? Have a look at Sport Beds
The course is designed around compressed, intensive contact days at the University and flexible off-site guided learning. This design allows you to gain the necessary experience to apply the theoretical concepts you are examining during your studies in an applied and contextualised manner while also allowing you to gain appropriate experience.
The course is designed to prepare you for work in sport or education sectors. Within these sectors we apply knowledge to a variety of contexts including physical education teaching; sports coaching (elite, performance, development and/or community); physical education teacher education; sport development; educational research
This course will provide the advanced knowledge and research training required for direct access to higher degrees by research (MPhil/ PhD)..
Areas of study include:
- Advanced Pedagogy
- Research Methods in Sport
- Occupational socialisation: critical perspectives on PETE
- Sport Pedagogy and Policy: theory in action
- Physical Education and Sport Pedagogy Dissertation
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details