You must be employed as a teacher in a secondary independent or state-maintained school and be teaching your subject for a minimum of 50% of a full timetable across two consecutive key stages.
You will be expected to have the following qualifications:
- A degree from a UK University or equivalent.
- GCSE in English Language, Maths at grade C or above or equivalent.
In addition you must:
- Pass Skills Tests prior to interview.
- Provide a reference from your headteacher supporting your application to undertake a PGCE.
- Obtain the commitment from your school to release you for the second school placement and to provide a suitable mentor.
- Provide a satisfactory criminal records check and show the physical and mental fitness to teach.
Months of entry
The Secondary Postgraduate Certificate in Education with QTS is the accreditation that enables teachers to teach in state-maintained and special schools in England and Wales.
This course is available to teachers who are currently employed in maintained or independent schools in England, or those who have a training placement under the School Direct Scheme, but do not yet hold a teaching qualification. You will be expected to undertake a teaching placement in a second school which must be a non-selective state maintained school. The duration of this teaching placement is determined upon interview and is usually for three weeks.
The PGCE is a 37 week school-based course during which time you will work under the guidance of a mentor and receive weekly tutorials to review your progress and to set targets. There are three residentials (nine days overall) to attend and these are supplemented by a weekly programme on the University’s Virtual Learning Environment (VLE). You will be assigned a University tutor who will visit once per term to assess your progress and guide your development. You will be assessed against the Standards by both your mentor and your tutor and there are three assignments to complete.
For teachers undertaking their first year of teaching we highly recommend your participation in our Ab Initio course in late August as an addition to the PGCE. This will provide you with some basic knowledge and skills to start teaching.
Fees and funding
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time12 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Nikki Mugford
- +44 (0)1280 820219