Applicants for this course should have achieved a UK High 2:1 Honours Degree.
Months of entry
In the UK moves to devolve government and decision-making to the regional and local levels are generating an increased requirement for well-trained professionals who are capable of providing the knowledge and analytical skills required. Across Europe increased economic and monetary union is emphasising the need for member states to consider how those involved in urban and regional government can tackle the spatial disparities in economic growth and development that have been such an entrenched feature of the last 20 years.
In the Far East and North America, a similar level of interest is being shown in how governments can best ensure more geographical balance in development. The design and implementation of spatial policies to manage the process of growth require professionals with a multidisciplinary skill base and an international perspective on best practice.
This course is therefore designed to equip you with the analytical skills required to:
- Understand the factors that lead to variations in regional growth and development and to understand the consequences of regional imbalance
- Assess the scope for policy intervention to manage regional growth
- Design efficient and effective policies to manage growth at the regional level
- Understand how best to implement growth and regeneration policies
- Evaluate policy achievement and monitor and assess the effectiveness of policy initiatives.
The course emphasises the importance of adopting a multidisciplinary approach both to understanding the nature of growth and regeneration problems as well as creating successful policy solutions.
MPhil courses offered by the Department of Land Economy share common aims:
- Enable students of high calibre to pursue their education at an advanced applied level drawing on the primary disciplines of economics, planning and environmental policy, with additional specialisms in finance and law.
- Provide students with opportunities both to build on and develop material which they may have studied at undergraduate level as well as to broaden their knowledge base.
- Equip students with the necessary skills to pursue careers at a high level in a range of areas, including business and finance, civil service, public service, property professions, environmental agencies and organisations, national and international agencies and further study.
- Provide opportunities for education in a multidisciplinary environment so as to advance the understanding of cognate disciplines and their applications.
- Provide opportunities for learning with colleagues from different social, economic and legal systems.
- Provide students with appropriate skills and experience to enable them to use information and resources critically and to equip them with the means to undertake their own research.
- Provide an educational environment with a strong research ethos that brings together students from a wide variety of backgrounds and fosters an international approach to common problems.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time10 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details