Prospective participants must be able to demonstrate:
- Possession of an undergraduate degree from a recognised university, or evidence of equivalent work experience/achievement and ability to read for a Master's-level programme;
- An acceptable ability in written and spoken English language (evidence will be required of participants’ proficiency if English is not their first language);
- A minimum of 3 years’ work experience after graduation;
- An endorsement from their employing institution supporting their application and required time commitment for the programme, or – if independent – from an acceptable institution familiar with their work;
- Interest in and commitment to sustainability;
- Academic and/or professional excellence;
- Commitment to using learning from the programme to lead or influence change within their business context;
- Access to appropriate computer technology and internet software;
- Ability to pay the course fees or identify a sponsoring institution.
Months of entry
The Postgraduate Certificate in Sustainable Business is especially targeted at current and future business leaders, particularly those in mainstream business roles, although we welcome applications from those in other sectors who are interested in sustainability in a business context. The programme is uniquely designed to encourage participants to go beyond the practical application of tools and models, to develop insights and world views that make business sense of sustainability, and empower leaders to bring about organisational change.
The programme content is explored predominantly through the two workshops, which take participants on a journey: first building their awareness of key sustainability issues and their relevance to business; then deepening their understanding of the global context in which they operate; and finally exploring practical approaches to achieving change in their organisations. Each workshop provides a mixture of expert input and commentary, intensive group discussion, facilitated project planning and review, opportunities for peer support, and informal networking between participants.
The content is taught using the Cambridge Institute for Sustainability Leadership's distinctive, collaborative learning approach with a strong emphasis on learning from shared experience and best-practice in relevant sectors and other industries. Project-based learning to support strategy development and implementation is a key feature of the programme, as is the opportunity to engage and collaborate with a world-class network of contributors and practitioners from business, NGOs, academia and government, who combine expert perspectives with real candour and constructive challenge.
At the end of the course, participants can expect to have covered some of the key business challenges of the 21st century, including:
- Defining the boundaries of corporate responsibility in relation to today’s global challenges;
- Devising and implementing effective approaches to socially responsible business, which at the same time encourage innovation and competitiveness;
- Responding to the diverse social, environmental and economic expectations of stakeholders and society at large; and
- Identifying the critical skills and experience that will enable an organisation to achieve its sustainability objectives.
Information for international students
The course has been designed in a flexible way so that it is possible for international students to attend.
Fees and funding
Bursary funding has been made available for deserving candidates who are currently prevented from applying due to financial reasons. These will offer financial support of 10–30 per cent of the programme fee, and in some exceptional cases up to 50 per cent of the programme fee, to assist selected applicants. Bursaries are normally awarded to candidates from developing countries, self-funding individuals, those affiliated with a non -governmental organisation or the public sector and occasionally to SMEs. Successful applicants will meet all the programme requirements.
Candidates should apply through the normal route and indicate on the application form their request to be considered for a bursary. On the application form applicants will be asked to submit a one page that describes:
- Why they require a bursary to attend
- How they meet the eligibility requirements for receiving a bursary
- An indication of the amount of support required
- How attendance at the programme will impact them
- Any other compelling reasons why a bursary should be awarded
- How they have pursued all other available funding opportunities
Participants awarded a bursary might be asked to provide evidence that they are able to pay the remaining programme fees.
Qualification and course duration
Further details of qualification
This Certificate is worth 60 CAT points. Students completing the course can choose to continue on to the Postgraduate Diploma in Sustainable Business or the Master's in Sustainability Leadership.
|Assessment||What kind of work will I be doing? (proportionally)|
|Written coursework / continuous assessment||60|
Course contact details
- Course Administrator