Visit the institution website for COVID‑19 updates
Applicants for this course should have achieved a UK 2:1 Honours Degree.
Months of entry
January, April, October
The MPhil degree offered by the Department of Paediatrics is exclusively research-based; students are integrated into the research culture of the department and the institute in which they are based.
The subject of the research project is determined during the application process and is influenced by the research interests of the student’s principal supervisor, ie students should apply to study with a group leader whose area of research most appeals to them. To broaden their knowledge of their chosen field, students are strongly encouraged to attend relevant seminars, lectures and training courses.
At the end of the course, examination for the MPhil degree involves submission of a written thesis (of 20,000 words or less), followed by an oral examination based on both the thesis and the wider field of knowledge.
The course introduces students to research skills and specialist knowledge. Its main aims are:
- to give students with relevant experience at a first-degree level the opportunity to carry out focused research in the discipline under close supervision; and
- to give students the opportunity to acquire or develop skills and expertise relevant to their research interests.
At the end of their MPhil course, students will have:
- a comprehensive understanding of techniques, and a thorough knowledge of the literature, applicable to their own research;
- demonstrated originality in the application of knowledge, together with a practical understanding of how research and enquiry are used to create and interpret knowledge in their field;
- shown abilities in the critical evaluation of current research and research techniques and methodologies;
- demonstrated some self-direction and originality in tackling and solving problems, and acted autonomously in the planning and implementation of research.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time12 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details