Applicants for this course should have achieved a UK 2:1 Honours Degree.
Months of entry
NOTE: This course is only open to students who have completed the PGCE at the Faculty of Education.
The PGCE-MEd Mathematics Education course is for anyone with a research or professional interest in mathematics education at any level of education (primary, secondary, or tertiary), wanting to undertake advanced study in a world-class setting. The Mathematics Education course is taught by a specialist team, and its student cohort is drawn primarily from UK-based professionals who continue in their full-time posts while taking the course part-time.
The Mathematics Education course develops students' understanding of a number of important issues in the field of mathematics education. Students learn to interpret and critically engage with ideas and debates in mathematics education research in three ways:
- through taught sessions in mathematics education;
- through work on course assignments under the supervision of a member of the teaching team; and
- through participation in seminars led by students on the course and in project workshops.
The course introduces students to research skills and specialist knowledge. Its main aims are to:
- examine the theoretical frameworks used in the study of education and its constituent disciplines;
- provide training in research methods appropriate to education;
- advance students’ capacity for professional reflection and judgment;
- cater to a range of specialists interested within the field of education or one of its constituent disciplines.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- part time12 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details