Primary Education with QTS: General Primary with Maths
- -Normally a first degree, or equivalent with a minimum of 2:2 honours.
- Three GCSEs at minimum grade C/4 or above to include English Language, Mathematics and Science (including biology, chemistry or physics).
- A satisfactory academic (university) reference AND a satisfactory professional reference if more than three years since academic study All candidates must demonstrate professional suitability through interview and must obtain medical and enhanced DBS clearance according to established university procedures.
Months of entry
Looking for a career where you can nurture children from the very start of their academic life? With a PGCE General Primary with Mathematics Specialism, you can equip children from 5-11 years with the essential maths skills needed in everyday life.
Our respected PGCE course fully supports you in your journey from student teacher to fully-fledged professional, And, because the programme has QTS (Qualified Teacher Status) built-in, you can apply for a position as a teacher the minute you graduate
Grounded in the learning of our acclaimed PGCE General Primary, this Mathematics pathway allows you to hone your pedagogy to lead and teach Maths in a primary school setting. This unique course pathway gives you the opportunity to raise children's achievements in maths and support them to get the best out of their learning.
You’ll learn through a blend of theory and hands-on experience, working within the National Curriculum framework. You'll explore the concepts and key themes of Mathematics and Primary General, confidently devising and delivering engaging lessons to children aged 5-11 years old.
Over half the course will be spent working with children on assessed placement, with school-based enrichment activities alongside your university-based study. You'll take three placements across a variety of schools and settings, building a wealth of experience to help advance your future career.
~ON THIS COURSE YOU WILL...
- Develop your personal interest in maths through a specialist pathway.
- Benefit from high-quality support from our academics and staff on a programme designed around you.
- Learn from an experienced, highly qualified programme team, working at the forefront of the academic field.
- Enjoy the intimate feel of our course delivery, with small class sizes and your own personal tutor.
- Utilise cutting edge research on a newly revalidated and up-to-date course.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
This programme is focused on the two key elements that make effective practitioners. Firstly, raising the achievement of children and secondly, high-quality teaching and learning. It is these two elements together that will empower you to aspire to become outstanding teachers.
The course is structured in such a way that it scaffolds you through your learning journey in a progressive way from induction to course completion. This is done through a combination of relevant, detailed and comprehensive contributory modules which are complemented by qualificatory modules that support the development of effective classroom practice. All modules have been developed to enable you to make strong, meaningful and effective connections between theory, research and practice.
You gain the academic PGCE qualification via successful completion of two masters level modules:
- High-Quality Teaching and Learning.
- Raising the Achievement of Children.
These are focussed on the theory, research and practice which must be in place in order to be the highest quality, effective practitioner.
- PGCE7003 Building Professional Understanding
- PGCE7004 Enhancing Professional Practice
- PGPC9140 Learning, Teaching and Subject Pedagogy
- PGPC9130 Being a Teacher
- PGPC9150 Subject Knowledge and Pedagogy Enrichment
- PGPC9070 Cumbria Teacher of Reading
- PGPC9160 Beginning Professional Practice
- PGPC9170 Developing Professional Practice
- PGPC9180 Extending Professional Practice
Fees and funding
We have a wide range of scholarships, bursaries, grants and funds available to support you throughout your studies with us. This includes the Cumbria Bursary - a non-repayable bursary designed to support first year students with a household income of less than £25,000. Visit our PGCE student finance page for more information.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time12 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
As this is a PGCE, it also includes some work at masters level, leading to 60 credits that can count towards an MA in Education.
Course contact details
- Enquiry Centre
- 0333 920 9635