Primary Education with QTS: General Primary with Physical Education
- Normally a first degree, or its equivalent with a minimum of 2:2 honours.
- Three GCSEs at minimum grade C/4 or above to include English language, mathematics and science (including biology, chemistry or physics).
- A satisfactory academic (university) reference AND a satisfactory professional reference if more than three years since academic study
- The ability to discriminate key ideas and express arguments
- All candidates must demonstrate professional suitability through interview and must obtain medical and enhanced DBS clearance according to established university procedures
Months of entry
Are you passionate about sport? Looking for a career where you can channel your interests to help children get active? You can nurture lifelong health and wellbeing as a Primary School teacher with a specialism in Physical Education.
Our respected PGCE course fully supports you in your journey from student teacher to fully-fledged professional. And, because the programme has QTS (Qualified Teacher Status) built-in, you can apply for a position as a teacher the minute you graduate.
Grounded in the learning of our acclaimed PGCE General Primary, this PE pathway allows you to hone your pedagogy to lead and manage PE in a primary school setting. This unique course pathway gives you the opportunity to develop a lifelong love of health, wellbeing and sport in the children you teach.
You’ll learn through a blend of theory and hands-on experience, working within the National Curriculum framework. You'll explore the concepts and key themes of Physical Education and Primary General, confidently devising and delivering engaging lessons to children aged 5-11 years old.
Over half the course will be spent working with children on assessed placement, with school-based enrichment activities alongside your university-based study. You'll take three placements across a variety of schools and settings, building a wealth of experience to help advance your future career.
ON THIS COURSE YOU WILL...
- Develop your personal interest through a specialist pathway.
- Benefit from high-quality support from our academics and staff on a programme designed around you.
- Learn from an experienced, highly qualified programme team, working at the forefront of the academic field.
- Enjoy the intimate feel of our course delivery, with small class sizes and your own personal tutor.
- Utilise cutting edge research on a newly revalidated and up-to-date course
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
This programme is focused on the two key elements that make effective practitioners. Firstly, raising the achievement of children and secondly, high-quality teaching and learning. It is these two elements together that will empower you to aspire to become outstanding teachers.
The course is structured in such a way that it scaffolds you through your learning journey in a progressive way from induction to course completion. This is done through a combination of relevant, detailed and comprehensive contributory modules which are complemented by qualificatory modules that support the development of effective classroom practice. All modules have been developed to enable you to make strong, meaningful and effective connections between theory, research and practice.
You gain the academic PGCE qualification via successful completion of two masters level modules:
- High-Quality Teaching and Learning
- Raising the Achievement of Children.
These are focussed on the theory, research and practice which must be in place in order to be the highest quality, effective practitioner.
- PGCE7003 Building Professional Understanding
- PGCE7004 Enhancing Professional Practice
- PGPC9130 Being a Teacher
- PGPC9140 Learning Teaching and Subject Knowledge
- PGPC1960 Subject Knowledge and Pedagogy
- PGPC9070 Cumbria Teacher of Reading
- PGPC9160 Beginning Professional Practice (Placement Module)
- PGPC9170 Developing Professional Practice (Placement Module)
- PGPC9180 Extending Professional Practice (Placement Module)
Fees and funding
Teacher training bursaries and postgraduate loans are available for all our PGCE courses. See our PGCE student finance page for full details.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time12 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Enquiry Centre
- 0845 606 1144