You should hold at least a 2.1 Honours degree in Physics or a physical science (eg Applied Physics or Electronic Engineering) from an institution recognised by the University.
Months of entry
This taught Masters is designed to provide you with an advanced programme of study in Medical Physics. It provides an understanding of the application of physics and technology to a range of disciplines within medical physics at a level appropriate for a professional physicist. We have expertise in traditional areas like ionising radiation, but also specialist sections in PET Scanning, Ophthalmology, Urology, Informatics and leading researchers in MRI.
- A key strength of this programme is that you will be taught mostly by physicists working in the NHS. It will quip you for employment in a clinical environment.
- Due to the large size of the NHS medical physics department in Glasgow, all mainstream areas of medical physics are covered along with some specialised fields.
- The programme is accredited with the Institute of Physics & Engineering in Medicine (IPEM), the UK professional body for medical physicists.
- The department has access to 1.5, 3 and 7 Tesla MRI, Pet Scanning, a cyclotron, dedicated SPECT and has its own radiosotope dispensary.
- Your lecturers are operating at the forefront of the profession with a balance of research and clinical practice, perfect for studying Medical Science.
- The research component of this programme allows you to develop valuable skills for practising and interpreting research.
- We draw on expert resources within the wider university for anatomy, statistics and the two optional courses.
You will attend lectures, seminars and tutorials, take part in e-learning and undertake a research project.
- Radiation physics
- Anatomy and physiology
- Statistics and experimental techniques
- Medical imaging physics
- Scientific management
- Clinical medical imaging
- Clinical measurement
- Research dissertation.
- Advanced data analysis
- Problem solving.
Career opportunities include positions in the NHS, private healthcare and equipment manufacturers. This is the course followed by the NHS trainees in Scotland so it is highly attuned to preparing the successful student for employment.
Information for international students
Fees and funding
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details