Applicants should have: A BSc honours degree normally at 2.1 or above, or equivalent in chemistry, biology, biochemistry, pharmacy or pharmaceutical science OR substantial experience. • Students who do not have English as their first language, must have an IELTS score of 6.5 or above or an equivalent rating in another recognised language testing system. • Alternatively, students can enter via the University of Greenwich International Pre-Masters' Programme. • Applicants from other backgrounds are considered but should e-mail the Programme Leader before application at firstname.lastname@example.org
Months of entry
The MSc Formulation Science is innovative, multidisciplinary, distinctive and unique in the UK in offering a depth of knowledge in the science of formulating new products, whether these are new pharmaceuticals or consumer care products, paints, foods or fast moving consumer goods.
The programme will allow you to understand the principles of making finished products from a blend of different individual ingredients. Drawing on current examples from the pharmaceutical industry, and using the industrial experience of academic staff, you will also apply these principles to industrially relevant problems in other areas of formulation science, such as consumer products and cosmetics.
This programme involves a series of lectures supplemented by practical lab-based investigations and seminars. Case studies will provide you with the chance to enhance your creativity and problem solving whilst working as part of a team in a way that simulates an industrial setting. A research project in a well-equipped school led by staff with a diversity of research experience will give you the opportunity to carry out novel research and enhance your ability to manage projects and foster independence. Across the degree, you will have the opportunity to communicate your science clearly in a range of forms to a range of audiences and make use of emerging information and communication technologies.
Upon completion of the degree you will have developed a research skills portfolio that will serve as a solid foundation for your continuing professional development in formulation sciences.
Our former graduates have gone on to develop successful careers in a wide range of industrial sectors, from the pharmaceutical sciences to aggrochemical and consumer goods. They have gone on to work for major multinational companies as well as thrive at specialist enterprises. Former graduates have also progressed to study successfully for PhDs.
The aims of the programme are:
- To enhance the critical, analytical and practical skills relevant to a modern, multidisciplinary formulation industry
- To provide an understanding of how the interaction between different components in a formulation affect the quality of a finished product
- To develop team work and problem solving with an emphasis on an industrial context
- To provide direct, hands-on practical research experience of currently relevant problems.
- Analytical Methods and QA/QC Principles (30 credits)
- Colloids and Structured Materials in Formulations (30 credits)
- Formulation of Consumer Goods, Cosmetics and Coatings (30 credits)
- Modern Pharmaceutical Technologies and Process Engineering (30 credits)
- Project (MSc Formulation Science) (60 credits)
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Course Enquiries
- 00 8331 9000
- 020 8331 8145