The normal entry requirements for the programme are:
- A good relevant first degree normally a 2:1
- A 2:2 or a postgraduate diploma or professional qualification recognised as being equivalent to a UK honours degree with a pass at an appropriate standard may also be considered.
- Admission is subject to a satisfactory Disclosure and Barring Service checks and occupational health screening
- Some experience or working in a social work setting in a paid or voluntary capacity is a distinct advantage
Months of entry
Social workers help people to live more successfully within their local communities by helping them find solutions to their problems. To succeed, social workers must work not only with clients but their families and friends as well as working closely with other organisations including the police, National Health Service, and schools.
During the course of our two year MSc programme you will learn the knowledge and skills needed to thrive in the social worker role. In your first year of study you will undertake modules which provide core knowledge about human development across the lifespan, working with diverse communities and service users, key methods and interventions and the policy and legislation which underpins practice.
The second year of teaching builds on this to explore ideas in depth including the sociological basis of practice and issues of risk and need which social workers manage. The programme culminates in the writing of a dissertation on a topic area in which you are especially interested.
Why choose this course?
- Social work is a regulated profession. The MSc Social Work degree leads to eligibility to apply to the HCPC Register and practice as a social worker
- An emphasis on small group practice prepares you for practice in a modern multi-professional workforce
- Interactive learning in and out of the classroom will help you to understand concepts fully
- Academic teaching is supported by SW practitioners, staff from voluntary agencies, service users and carers enabling you to link theory to practice throughout the programme
- A distinct feature of the programme is an emphasis on the development of knowledge and skills through reflective practice
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- +44 (0)1707 284800