Applicants should normally have a good first honours degree or at least a UK upper second class or equivalent. It is expected that applicants can demonstrate significant relevant experience and clear potential for benefiting from the programme e.g.
- Doctors (GMC registered)
- Physiotherapists (Health and Care Professions Council / Chartered Society of Physiotherapy)
- Sports therapists or Sports trainers (British Association of Sport Rehabilitators and Trainers)
Months of entry
Are you interested in broadening your skills in Sports Medicine?
This Masters course is designed to provide enthusiastic professionals with practitioner-led training in the Sport and Exercise Medicine (SEM). We are based in Yorkshire, home to the highest concentration of Sport and Exercise Medicine trainees and consultants in the UK. This is a flexible course compromising of blended learning opportunities suitable for applicants in full-time employment.
- Provides specialised knowledge in sport and exercise medicine disciplines; functional sports anatomy, clinical assessment, musculoskeletal (MSK) medicine, sports injuries, exercise physiology and health, sports nutrition, physical activity and health, exercise prescription.
- Strong emphasis on the development of technical skills necessary for SEM practice
- Hands-on training in MSK clinics and pitch-side experience.
- Access to brand new sports facilities and labs.
- Wide range of supervised practical experience available via club placements and clinics
- Extensive employment opportunities exist within: NHS Musculoskeletal, private sports medicine clinics and sports clubs.
Sport and Exercise Medicine is now a recognised training route by the GMC for clinicians. SEM is a key deliverable in new government strategies, demand for training has increased with portfolio GPs and GPwSI specifically interested in training for Sports Medicine, and an increasing expectation amongst professional sports clubs that team doctors should have undergone structured training programmes to Masters Level.
Learn from industry experts
Dr Dane Vishnubala is the Curriculum Director for this course; he is a Sport and Exercise Doctor and General Practitioner (MRCGP) with 13 years Exercise Prescription experience.
"The University of Leeds has one of the best Sports Science departments in the UK and it's got one of the oldest medical schools as well. If you combined the two then you have a very interesting course led by some very high ranking individuals within this sector"
Dr Jon Powers is the Placement Director on this course; his current role in elite sport is working for the Football Association as England Men's Team Performance Medicine Doctor.
"The flexibility of the course allows you to continue doing a full time job whilst working around University studies without having huge amounts of face to face commitment at the University. The placements we have arranged mean that most of the clinical learning will be done in a real life sporting environment rather than in a lecture."
This Masters is available as both a full time course and as a two year part time course.
During your studies you’ll focus on the following modules:
- Functional sports anatomy and clinical assessment
- Musculoskeletal medicine and sports injuries
- The sport and exercise medicine practitioner
- Exercise physiology, health and sports nutrition
- Physical activity, health and exercise prescription
- Project work and dissertation
You’ll attend a two-day Immediate Care in Sport course in your induction week and arrange MSK clinics and club placements to give you the opportunity to apply your knowledge through practical experience.
You’ll also have access to our brand new sports facilities and labs, where Olympic athletes train.
The course will equip you with strong team working skills through its interdisciplinary approach to training. You’ll be equipped to work in teams of professionals with complimentary expertise such as strength and conditioning, team coaches, physiotherapists and acute injury settings.
Fees and funding
We have a number of scholarships and loans available. To find out if you are eligible to apply, please check our Scholarships and Loans website.
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Faculty of Biological Sciences Postgraduate Admissions
- +44(0)113 343 3021