A bachelor degree with a 2:1 (hons) in engineering, a physical science, mathematics. A medical degree or allied subject is acceptable where the candidate also has demonstrable knowledge of mathematics and physics. We may ask for further detailed module information where necessary.
We accept a range of international equivalent qualifications. For more information please contact the Admissions Team.
Months of entry
Medical engineering combines the design and problem-solving skills of engineering with medical and biological sciences to contribute to medical device solutions and interventions for a range of diseases and trauma.
This exciting and challenging course will give you a broad knowledge base in this rapidly expanding field, as well as allowing you to specialise through a choice of optional modules.
We emphasise the multi-disciplinary nature of medical engineering and the current shift towards the interface between engineering and the life sciences. You could focus on tissue engineering, biomaterials or joint replacement technology among a host of other topics.
Based in the School of Mechanical Engineering this course will also encourage you to consider different perspectives towards medical engineering through teaching from the School of Electronic and Electrical Engineering, School of Biomedical Sciences and Leeds University Business School.
Why study at Leeds:
- Learn the latest innovations in medical engineering from our world-leading research conducted right here on campus that feeds directly into the course.
- Benefit from interdisciplinary teaching with parts of the course taught by academics from the School of Mechanical Engineering, School of Electronic and Electrical Engineering, School of Biomedical Sciences and Leeds University Business School.
- Advance your knowledge and skills in a wide range of areas, preparing you for an exciting and challenging career in medical engineering.
- Tailor the degree to suit your specific interests with a broad selection of optional modules to choose from, with everything from tissue engineering to biomaterials, functional joint replacement technology to spinal biomechanics – plus many more.
- Put theory into practice and conduct a team design project and an individual professional project, using interdisciplinary approaches to achieve a solution to a programme-specific and industry-relevant design problem.
- Access our School’s impressive range of specialist facilities in materials screening analysis, joint simulation and heart valve simulation plus industry-standard software and CAD facilities.
- Experience expert theoretical and practical teaching delivered by a programme team made up of academics and researchers who are making breakthroughs in their fields, in particular researchers from the Institute of Medical and Biological Engineering.
- Enhance your career prospects by taking advantage of our strong links with industry which give you the chance to connect with our industry contacts and potential employers through talks, networking sessions and, in some cases, teaching too.
- Secure the career you want and join our successful alumni who now work for many excellent medical organisations like the NHS.
Fees and funding
International Masters Excellence Scholarship
These competitive scholarships are awarded in the form of a 25% tuition fee reduction to international candidates who demonstrate outstanding academic achievement. There are limited scholarships available.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time12 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Admissions Team
- +44 (0)113 343 0031