BSc 1st class or 2i, or equivalent (for example a pass in MBChB, BDS), in a relevant scientific discipline, normally biological, sport and exercise or biomedical sciences, but a natural sciences or engineering graduate will be considered subject to evidence of biological knowledge at an appropriate level.
Months of entry
Work within a multidisciplinary field of Sport and Exercise to further rehabilitation techniques and understanding.
With advancing technologies and an ever-growing global emphasis on the role of Sport, Exercise and Rehabilitation, our research-focused Masters will expose students to advanced tools and techniques in a highly research active environment. This distinctive 1 year MRes has a strong emphasis on developing skills for practice as a specialist and practical application within exercise and rehabilitation environments.
Our MRes is based in the sport and exercise sciences department which has a wealth of expertise in the area of rehabilitation, with students being taught by some of the country’s leading sport and exercise scientists. Being part of the Cardiovascular and Sport and Exercise Sciences group, we were ranked 1st in the UK for world leading 4* research in the 2014 Research Excellence Framework (REF). The group covers a wide range of topics, which are underpinned by fundamental research, meaning you will be able to use an interdisciplinary approach to answer shared research questions.
Make an impact in an ever-changing field
Researchers in Sport and Exercise Sciences use exercise as a fundamental physical challenge to gain insight into normal biological control processes and functional adaptability. This is fundamental to understanding the dynamic relationship between activity patterns, physical and mental health, predisposition to and recovery from chronic conditions (such as cardiorespiratory diseases, diabetes and cancer) across the lifespan.
We believe exercise is currently under-utilised in diagnostic procedures, and that targeted exercise interventions are likely to be more effective than many current therapeutic approaches. Our approach involves an unusually broad molecular cell-to-systems research portfolio, with translational benefits ranging from promotion of physical activity to rehabilitation strategies.
- Provides specialised knowledge in sport and exercise rehabilitation disciplines including; functional sports anatomy, movement assessment, musculoskeletal (MSK) medicine, sports injuries, exercise physiology and health, sports nutrition, physical activity and health, exercise prescription.
- Embeds student into wider research activities to build the skills and knowledge necessary to develop as a successful researcher in exercise rehabilitation.
- Gain first-hand experience by conducting an individual research project demonstrating competent use of a range of practical techniques.
- Access to brand new sports facilities and labs.
- Learn to analyse laboratory data from current researchers.
- The learning and teaching strategies used on the programme are intended to develop quantitative and computational skills, problem-solving skills, critical evaluation and enhance autonomous learning.
Information for international students
IELTS 6.5 overall, with no less than 6.0 in any component.
International students who do not meet the English language requirements for this programme may be able to study our postgraduate pre-sessional English course, to help improve your English language level.
This pre-sessional course is designed with a progression route to your degree programme and you’ll learn academic English in the context of your subject area. To find out more, read Language for Science (6 weeks) and Language for Science: General Science (10 weeks).
If you need to study for longer than 10 weeks, read more about our postgraduate pre-sessional English course.
Fees and funding
We award a generous range of scholarships to UK, EU and international students. We consider all eligible applicants who demonstrate outstanding academic achievement and excellent personal and professional skills. Visit our FBS fees and scholarships page to find out more about the range of scholarships we have to offer.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time12 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Postgraduate Admissions Team
- +44 (0)113 343 1418