- A first or upper 2.1 (Honours) undergraduate degree in a relevant natural science. Other scientific, engineering or mathematics degrees may be acceptable. If you studied your first degree outside the UK, see the international entry requirements.
- Training in advanced mathematics and statistics (at least to UK school AS/A-level, Higher, International Baccalaureate or equivalent).
- Very good baseline IT skills including word-processing, spreadsheet use, email and internet.
- relevant field or lab experience from previous employment, project or volunteer work
- further IT skills, e.g. programming, database software and statistical packages for analysing (such as MATLAB, SPSS, SAS or R)
- dedicated calculus or statistics modules at university level.
Months of entry
The MSc in Marine Ecosystem Management is a one year taught programme run by the School of Biology. The programme takes a holistic approach to understanding ecosystem function and services, and draws on the quantitative and diverse academic expertise within the University's Scottish Oceans Institute (SOI).
- Modules include intense training in quantitative techniques (for example, statistical modelling and GIS).
- You might have the exciting opportunity to conduct fieldwork locally as part of a core module and further afield as part of optional field courses (extra cost applicable) including polar ecology in Antarctica or scientific diving in a tropical location.
- Core modules in marine ecosystem function and management are complemented by a selection from optional modules including marine conservation case study, biologging, population biology, fisheries research, and estimating abundance.
- Stimulating, small class sizes with a focus on student-led, experiential learning.
Fees and funding
The University of St Andrews is committed to attracting the very best students, regardless of financial circumstances. Find out more about the scholarships and postgraduate loans available.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time12 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Postgraduate Secretary
- +44 (0)1334 46 3441