An upper second-class (2.1) undergraduate honours degree or above in media, film or another relevant social sciences or humanities subject. We also welcome applications from those with relevant professional experience.
Months of entry
This MA is for you if culture, technology, power and business excite and intrigue you.
You study cultural industries, institutions, texts, identities and practices from a critical perspective. You’ll explore the meaning of culture as politics and philosophy, and also:
- explore cultural innovation, promotion and value in a fast-changing world
- build a critical understanding of how business, technology and the law are redefining cultural practices today
- graduate with professional skills relevant to cultural and creative organisations in the private and public sectors
Teaching is through lectures, seminars and workshops and includes guest lectures from industry professionals and researchers.
In the autumn term, you’ll take two core modules. In the spring term, you choose two options.
In the summer term, you choose between working on a supervised research-led dissertation on a topic of your choice or a placement in a relevant organisation, which you will then analyse and present in a portfolio.
Assessment is by term paper, presentations and portfolios. The final assessment may take the form of a 15,000-word dissertation or a portfolio of practical and written work.
- We were ranked 7th in the UK for research impact in the 2014 Research Excellence Framework (REF).
- You enjoy opportunities for placements including in the vibrant city of Brighton & Hove, a hub for cultural, creative and activist enterprise.
- You will gain awareness of the challenges within creative industry and culture in contemporary globalised societies and economies, which is an advantage in many areas of employment as well as further study.
Information for international students
Fees and funding
Please visit our website for latest fees information: http://www.sussex.ac.uk/study/masters/2017/media-film-and-music/cultural-and-creative-industries-ma
The University of Sussex aims to attract the most talented students to postgraduate study. For full details of our scholarships please visit: Masters Scholarships
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- School of Media, Film and Music
- +44 (0)1273 877538